Donald Trump for President..

Discussion in 'Politics' started by willair, 23rd Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Barely.

We are talking about the debate- as I mentioned at the start of my post.

This is not an apology from somebody who is really sorry. This is the minimum possible for somebody who is only sorry for getting caught. Calling it locker room talk trivialises his advocacy of sexual assault- and many professional athletes have called him out for the use of the term.

Gypsyblood and spludgey like this.
  2. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

I'm not championing anyone. I think both candidates are the probably the worst the US has ever had, which shows how broken the American democratic system really is.

3. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

I was just pointing out that he actually did...whereas you had claimed he didn't.

4. geoffw

You're right. It is barely an apology but it is one. I apologise.

However you said that he acknowledged that what he said was disgraceful. I can't see that he said that as a part of the debate.

5. Skilled_Migrant

Skilled_Migrant Well-Known Member

Apparently he is an ardent follower of Carol Dweck's 'growth mindset' and a 'mindset' deity for a few.

Last edited by a moderator: 11th Oct, 2016
  6. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

First Past The Posts is a terrible system!

Hilary isn't great, very far from it, but Trump will clearly put his own interests before those of the country and the world.

LibGS and geoffw like this.
  7. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

First past the post is the least broken part.
    I think either candidate will put their own best interests first. Clinton is just as vile as Trump, but she's been planning this run to the presidency for a long time, she's had a lot more practice at not getting people offside with her words. 4-weeks to go, it will be interesting to see how much more mud these 2 can sling at each other in that time...

8. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

No need to apologise. I was just fact-checking :)
    I thought he did say something like disgraceful, maybe that was in his press release last Friday? I could have it wrong, I'm sure plenty of others have also rightfully described it as disgraceful/disgusting.

It's taken the conversation away from his taxes for a while though.. People have short memories too, so Hillary's campaign will have to keep hammering this for this next 4 weeks.

9. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Im loving all the commentary from the comedians on this debate. Its very entertaining.

I cant see Trump winning. A lot of the crap flung at Trump tends to be forgotten. But "grab them by the pussy" is something that sticks in the mind a bit better than "used tax provisions to carry forward losses for income tax minimization".

The apology doesnt really work either. Because this is just who the guy is. Its like a swastika saying, Im really sorry for anyone who is offended. But it still remains a swastika despite the apology. It just is what it is. And Trump is a misogynist. Apologies mean nothing when nothing changes.

geoffw likes this.
  10. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

11. geoffw

12. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Trump has had several unsuccessful attempts at nomination over the past few election cycles.

13. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

This is the final stage now Geoff,all the big names will have their say,it may well come down too to very simple fundamental issues for every American who cares about justice
    even the millions of unauthorized workers that come out of the shadows and benefit from immigration reform..

14. MikeE

MikeE Member

Trump Scandal Checklist

1. Called somebody fat 20 years ago
    2. Followed tax law
    3. Had a private ''guy chat'' 11 years ago

( CNN doing great job ) CNN = Clintons News Network

15. geoffw

Wow. So there's really no harm in verbally harassing and body shaming? In advocating sexual assault? In scamming the system to ensure that everybody but you pays tax?

If I had called somebody fat or advocated groping a woman in a workplace I would be sacked immediately.

Your comments say a lot more about you than about Trump.

sanj, Tim86 and LibGS like this.
  16. House

House Well-Known Member

Quite impressed with their pre-debate warmup

17. MikeE

MikeE Member

18. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

Sounds more like a dictator than a leader of a western progressive democracy.

Tim86 and geoffw like this.
  19. geoffw

I agree with LibGS. Apart from trying to deflect from the issue at hand- a common Trump technique- the threat to personally use the office of president to conduct a personal vendetta is a dictator like technique, and absolutely despicable. He was pandering to his supporters, because he had little hope of getting any more support from women, Latinos, blacks and Muslims.

Back to the original issue. Trump has a long record of misogyny. The tapes released are just the same denigration of women which he has practiced for many years, just to a degree which pushed many people just a little too far. Any attempt to trivialise what he said is sweeping a serious issue under the table.

20. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

He could have said...I have serious concerns about your conduct and will ask the independent public prosecutor to investigate if any laws have been broken.

But he can't do that, because Ms Clinton has been investigated thoroughly. All he can do is appointment a biased prosecutor who would act outside the law. And here we have the PC cheer squad, being happy because of threats to act outside the law. EH? And brushing off Trump bragging about sexually assaulting a woman. Are you people for real?

Last edited: 12th Oct, 2016
    Joynz and geoffw like this.