Technology & Social Media Domain name renewal with GoDaddy

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Momentum, 12th Feb, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

I've got 2 domains (dot com) with GoDaddy that are coming up for renewal. They charge $23.95 per year, the longest you can renew is 5 years for $119.75 so there is no discount if renewing for longer terms. Do I have to stay with GoDaddy or can I move them to someone else?
    What's the cheapest way to renew domains?

2. cberg86

cberg86 Active Member

There's a lot of .com registrars out there which offer transfer services, make sure you have enough time left on before they renew or you might need to renew for 1 year & then make the change.

In my business(software developer) I use namecheap.com as they provide free basic DNS included in the standard price where others charge another fee for the service(they do charge in USD though but I don't mind that).
    Easy Domain Transfer with Namecheap - Domain Transfer - Namecheap

My good friend(IT services for small biz) uses Net Registry for his 100+ domains he manages for customers and swears by them.
    Netregistry — Australia's Domain Name Registrar

Momentum likes this.
  3. Guest

Guest Guest

I have moved to registering new domains with Namecheap. They don't charge for privacy like GoDaddy, so ends up quite a bit cheaper for my needs.

jprops and Momentum like this.
  4. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

.com domains always cost you 12 months renewal when transferring to a new registrar - this gets added to the existing expiry, so you don't lose out overall.

Just watch out for prices when comparing - some registrars quote their discounted registration price as their headline price, whereas their renewal and transfer fees can be quite a bit higher.

I used to use Netregistry - but got so sick of the lack of customer service when they made (frequent) mistakes, that I took my entire portfolio (over 1,000 domains at the time) over to VentraIP, or more specifically to SynergyWholesale - their wholesale division.

I can highly recommend VentraIP - their service has been excellent and they are an Australian company too.

VentraIP are currently charging AU$15.95 per year for .com renewals and transfers and I believe they offer free "ID protection".

5. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

Thanks guys I moved my domains over to Namecheap and it only cost $25.93 for both of them.