Domain Name Registrar

Discussion in 'Starting & Running a Business' started by alexm, 3rd May, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. alexm

alexm Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Not sure where to post this topic so leaving it here. Happy for it to be moved.

I've registered some domain names for a business of mine however the domain registrar I used, may have been breached as one of my domains has been 'cyber squatted' by someone else, The other domains can't be transferred out as there's no mechanism via their portal, they're not returning emails, and the phone 'support' is just an IVR.

Who is a reputable domain registrar that I can use to work with to transfer my domains (which I can prove i've been assigned)?

Thanks
    Al

2. devank

devank Well-Known Member

3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Melbourne IT operate as Net Registry and are the primary Australian domain registry. They used to have local support.

Call 1800 659 655

Silverson likes this.
  4. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I moved my 500+ domain portfolio away from TPP Wholesale because their domain management portal was such a PITA to use and their pricing was just not competitive. This was about 7 years ago though - hopefully they've improved?

I use Synergy Wholesale now and recommend their retail arm - VentraIP Australia | 100% Australian Web Hosting & Domain Names ... Australian owned and they give great support.

5. Simon Hampel

Not true - Melbourne IT haven't had any authority in Australia for years now. They were important once because they were the only real game in town, now they are just incredibly overpriced dinosaurs. I purchased my first .com.au from them in 2001 and paid $140 for a 2 year registration :eek:

Melbourne IT are still today quoting $77 per year :eek: :eek: for a .com.au domain which now wholesales for less than $10 per year. Retail pricing is generally around $15 - $20 per year.

NetRegistry are more competitive than Melbourne IT (which is probably why Melbourne IT bought NetRegistry in 2014) - I used them extensively before I moved to TPP Wholesale. I moved because of NetRegistry's poor service - but still wasn't happy with TPP and so have since moved to VentraIP / Synergy Wholesale.

FYI - the .au registry has been managed by Afilias since 2017 and is no longer managed by AusRegistry.

qak and devank like this.
  6. twobobsworth

twobobsworth Well-Known Member

I currently use VentraIP as well. Feel your pain, have been through a similar scenario.

Be aware your new provider will not be able to initiate the domain transfer without you accessing the EPP code from your current registrar. You can look at lodging a complaint the auDA but I would suggest keep trying with the current provider.

7. Simon Hampel

@alexm who is your current registrar?

8. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

I got my first domaina from melb it in the 90s.
    then I think it was ausregistry, sold a few times then netregistry, now TPP.

I almost lost 2 domains in the split, they did not get transfered to my account and expired.
    Check your expiries if you're with TPP!

Was looking at ventraIP last week.

9. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

10. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

Do you hoard domains hoping to sell them for a profit in the future, or you have a lot of websites

11. alexm

alexm Well-Known Member

I've got the EPP codes.

Domainnames.com.au

12. Simon Hampel

I no longer hold that many domains - down to around 250 now.

Around half of them are mine, but I also manage domain portfolios for a few clients.

I operate around 40 or so websites - again, about half are for clients.

Many of the domain names are brand variations, eg: propertychat.com.au, .net.au, .io, .net, .tv, .app, .dev, etc

13. Simon Hampel

Ahh - they're not a direct registrar - I couldn't find them on the official Afilias list - Find a Registrar | Afilias AU

They are actually resellers of Public Domain Registry.

Do a whois lookup on one of your domain names to see who the registrar shows up as: Whois lookup (assuming it's a .com.au domain)

If it is PDR - you might need to contact them directly for assistance with your domains if you're getting no joy from DomainNames.com.au

14. alexm

alexm Well-Known Member

@Simon Hampel , thanks for the information.

I've snet a request to unlock my domains and they appear in the current registrar's portal as unlocked however VentralIP still aren't seeing them as unlocked.

Any idea how long it takes to flow through as being unlocked?

15. Simon Hampel

In theory it should be instantaneous - but I'd give it 24 hours or so just to be sure, could be some caching issues somewhere.

BTW - how long ago did you register the domains?

Some TLDs have a transfer block in place for the first 60 days after registration.

16. alexm

alexm Well-Known Member

Thanks @Simon Hampel

Registration was just over 60 days ago.