Domain Article - How a 20-year-old bought three investment properties

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by Big Will, 17th Nov, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

@Perthguy, I believe an accounting degree would be a good foundation for a lot of careers in the commerical world.

@Robert Petty, by your first post, you seem to have a personality, maybe too much to be an accountant :) :).

2. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I also say "good on you". My late mother left each grandchild a similar sized inheritance to yours, to be used purely for housing or education purposes... her stipulation was "no cars or holidays".

Our oldest son didn't know about this inheritance when he bought his first place aged 21. He was keen and the place he bought was so cheap he didn't need the inheritance. We also didn't want to talk about it as we didn't want the two sons following behind to decide they didn't need to work hard to get a deposit.

He was on such a low salary that we agreed to sign a parental guarantee so he could avoid paying LMI. Without us, he would have paid the LMI to get into that first place.

We gave him no cash and he has done it all himself with his partner. We did help him do some painting but they did most of the hard work themselves. They lived there a couple of years, bought a fixer-upper house and completely renovated it and sold it for a good profit. Meanwhile, they lived in a half finished house for a few years as they could afford to fix it up... not much fun, but we've all done it (or many of us have).

Now they are renovating the next place. They still have the first cheapie unit and it is putting money in their pockets every week.

Middle son is keen to get into his second house and because he hadn't graduated when he bought his first, we lent him the money at bank rates to buy and when he graduated and could get a bank loan, that is when he found out about the inheritance.

Third son... similar story.

They are lucky their grandmother left them this fantastic resource to be used for property. They grew up helping us renovate, as we had grown up helping my parents (and our kids also helped because they couldn't stay home themselves). They certainly got sick of helping us by the time they were teenagers, but it gave them a good grounding, and they were surrounded by property talk and they all learned to swing a hammer and a paintbrush. The youngest didn't get as much hands-on as the older simply due to his age.

I struggle sometimes with the fact that they haven't struggled as much as we did, but then we didn't struggle as much as our parents did. That is why we've helped them do the renovating (as they helped us when they were younger) but haven't handed them anything to get them started.

4. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

Lots of Greeks and Italians in Melbourne/Sydney, they would feel insulted if the kids DIDN'T accept the money.

Connor and MikeyBallarat like this.
  5. MikeyBallarat

MikeyBallarat Well-Known Member

I did buy! Not in the west though, it's out of my reach at the moment. Next cycle will be the time to bounce :)

ashish1137 likes this.
  6. Jennifer Duke

Jennifer Duke Well-Known Member

I'm always stunned when someone isn't a forum member! This place is an awesome resource. I pretty much come and have a read on a weekly, if not more regular, basis.

Eric Wu and kierank like this.
  7. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Weekly??? Anything less that 3 times a day is for rookies. ;)

I seem to have mis-placed my life.o_O

Last edited: 18th Nov, 2016
  8. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Wait until you retire. For me, it is either post on PC or talk to the wife ...

I am happily married. So, I think I make the right choice :) :).

Sticky, dabbler, Cactus and 2 others like this.
  9. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

@Robert Petty
    Good on you for signing up.
    Sounds like you have a strategy in place - and are implimenting agaist the strategy. Its your strategy - it wont suit anyone else.

At 20 to have a "portfolio" larger than most people ever achieve. How ever you got there. Good on your mum for helping you, and good on you for taking the opportunity. No doubt you have learnt a lot from the experiance already. Give it 10years, and you will be well ahead of your peers.

Blacky

Toon, Gockie and Perthguy like this.
  10. bobbyj

bobbyj Well-Known Member

@Robert Petty
    Well done. Superb effort at 20 years old.

'Give your children enough to do something with their life, but not enough to do nothing.'
    You've done a good job with $60k. Will be good to see where you are in 5 and 10 years.

Toon, Perthguy and wylie like this.
  11. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'm loving that quote. That is what I was trying to do, but putting it into a few words like that is gold.

Toon and ashish1137 like this.
  12. wobbycarly

wobbycarly Well-Known Member

I think Geelong IS west! :)

I believe it is attributed to Warren Buffet.

MikeyBallarat and ashish1137 like this.
  13. Eric Wu

Eric Wu Well-Known Member

:) we are reading the forum on daily ( actually much shorter than that) basis. ;)

Jennifer Duke, Toon and Perthguy like this.
  14. Iamnumber5

Iamnumber5 Well-Known Member

:)
    You are a rookie:)

I must say PC has become an addiction.

Eric Wu likes this.
  15. Johnny Cashflow

Johnny Cashflow Well-Known Member

Probably have seen this kid around the place...

Not sure on his purchases though, seem abit expensive for Elizabeth East 237k... yikes

I have 3 ip around Elizabeth but cost 150k 155k and 160k all on big blocks and 2 are corner blocks. Don't think he will see any growth buying in Elizabeth at that price. Also his yields are pretty weak for Elizabeth standards, 8-10% are the creamers

16. Robert Petty

Robert Petty Well-Known Member

Ok so Im back.

@jins13 Don't worry Im not at all bothered by what other people think. I would like to say though that I totally agree with you about investing in yourself! I think its the best investment you can make.

@bob shovel I went back and read your original comment, and my speed read over the thread this morning completely took it out of context haha. And no I haven't got the time to waste with a few keyboard warriors.

@Perthguy I understand the fundamentals of business and tax accounting which has treated me well with all the tax loops involved in property investing. Im leaning more towards going straight for the real-estate because if I finish off the accounting thats at least a year behind that I will be in my real-estate career. As to what interests me it would be ideal if there was an agency/franchise that would let me tag along with a few of their employees to get a more broad understanding but at this point being a rental property manager has to be my number one pick. I don't know enough of what its like to be a sales agent although I assume the money could be a lot better for the right kind of person.

@Jennifer Duke Thanks a lot Im loving this site.

@Blacky & @bobbyj Thanks for your support. The experience so far has been great! What would life be without some challenges right..

@Johnny Cashflow I should first clarify that Im not seeking your approval or gratification but I will let you know the property I bought for $237.5K is on Blackburn road (the dividing road between Elizabeth East and Hillbank, see attached link at the bottom) which literally on the edge of Hillbank that we all know is a nice suburb and it has a median house price for three bed properties of $322K. Hillbank has seen 9% growth for the 12 months to October 2016.
    My yields may be weak in your eyes but my worst being 6.09% isn't bad at all, especially when a conventional property investor would consider 5.2% to be 'good'. Also both my Elizabeth East houses are three bedrooms and in both of them I only rent out two of the rooms, I choose to keep the third one in each free but if I wanted to I could rent out at any point and probably achieve the 'cream' you're talking about.
    Can I also just clarify that your investment properties you're talking about are in the "Elizabeth area" and not Elizabeth East? Because Ive seen plenty of properties around the prices you've paid, I just chose not to buy them. Ive been on the other side of the main road and I wouldn't wanna buy there.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/plac...33654628eb400!8m2!3d-34.7471145!4d138.6815087

17. ramblin72

ramblin72 Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, I did an accounting degree and worked in corporate/management accounting in 3 different industries for a number of years. I then started my own businesses (not accounting related) and for the past 14 years have been running my own businesses. I always believe my accounting knowledge has put me ahead of my competitors in terms of knowledge as well as being able to do my own BAS's, tax returns etc. Looking back though, my accounting degree was actually quite useless as I really learned everything I needed to know while working as an accountant. On the job vs textbooks is quite different.

If I was you, I would start by looking at the many free accounting/business type MOOC's online first. Then see where your knowledge gaps are and maybe do some short courses. If you don't want to be an accountant and actually be in the profession then I think doing an accounting degree is a waste of time and money. In an age of online education, I believe you should be tailoring your education towards being what you actually want to be, even if it's just for the next 5 years.
    Disclaimer, I did my degree in the 90's so maybe accounting degrees have evolved over recent decades and are more useful now?

18. Johnny Cashflow

Johnny Cashflow Well-Known Member

Blackburn road Elizabeth East is definatley the nicer part of Elizabeth , good pick on that part, and that strategy could work being closer to Hillbank not sure.

Not sure why you are keeping one room free in each house. Do you stay there?

I personally wouldn't have bought in Elizabeth for that price. I have seen houses in Hillbank sell for 240-250k just recently...

My advice would be to be patient when selecting your property's. A lot of new investors jump in quickly and pay too much.

You are working hard, saving and investing so there is nothing wrong with that at all! Keep up the good work and good luck!

19. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Same, can buy in Salisbury, Parafield Gardens and Brahma Lodge for that

20. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

@Robert Petty welcome to the forums
    There is lots here which will assist you in your journey.
    Also look out for the Perth meetups if they are on when you aren't working.

Perthguy likes this.