Dogs next door pushing over the asbestos fence

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Adelaide, 28th Jun, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Adelaide

Adelaide Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    The next door neighbor has 2 large dogs who are pushing their way through the asbestos fence so the hole is getting greater. I popped up my side of the fence with steel rods but situation has not improved. Neighbor is out of work single mum with a liking for the bottle.
    I haven't talked to her yet. My amazing tenants don't leave the kids in the back yard any more in case they break through the fence.

Obviously I need to talk to her but I don't see that she can do anything. I know she hasn't saved the money to replace the fence with me.

If I put colourbond fence in, they can dig under the fence. If I put Supersix fence in, the gales of wind that blow though could blow it over.

Any suggestions about the fence and the neighbour?
    Pics from 2014 when problem was not there.

Many thanks

Attached Files:

2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

As a LL you probably have a common law obligation to keep your tenants safe from neighbour dogs and asbestos fibers. If it were me, I'd get 3 x quotes to replace the fence, notify your neighbour in writing with the quotes, pick one and get the work done. Seek reimbursement 50-50 from your neighbour in line with the Dividing Fences Act in your state. Do it now without delay.

wylie and Marg4000 like this.
  3. Adelaide

Adelaide Well-Known Member

Thanks Propertunity. I checked out the fence. The hole isn't really big. The problem is the dog can jump that high! And while I was there, jumped the fence and took off down the road.
    I have let the rangers know and they advise we have to catch it in the act escaping.
    Will need to do some creative fencing I think.

4. markson

markson Well-Known Member

Its ok. The dogs have inhaled so much asbestos fibers that they will die of lung cancer soon.

Bayview likes this.
  5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I suggest painting the broken edges of the asbestos sheet to stop further fibre release.

Bayview likes this.