Does land size matter on units (not apartments) for capital growth?

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by Stan, 8th Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

Does land size matter on units (not apartments) from a capital growth point of view?

The benefit of houses on big blocks of land is that it can be used for multiple purposes and cater to not only home buyers but developers too.

However, what about units? To my knowledge, you can't do really do anything significant on the land such as a knockdown and rebuild or add another bedroom, etc.

Because of that do land size matter on units? And do floor area matter more instead?

Last edited: 8th Apr, 2018
  2. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

If it is feasible to redevelop the block then certainly land can be of value but I don't think it is often factored into the price.

Stan likes this.
  3. jyeung80

jyeung80 Well-Known Member

For townhouses it matters but it's not the driving factor for a buyer. The location, size, quality and price of the unit itself would influence buyer decision making much more. Of course given 2 identical units on 2 different sized blocks the larger one would probably sell for more. There's also an indirect relationship because usually the larger the block the larger the townhouse or garden all of which adds value.

wooster and Stan like this.
  4. kaibo

kaibo Well-Known Member

land size is less relevant as the number of units in a block increases. 2 on a block is a lot better than 3 on a block. But 5 vs 6 is not much different as the chance of buying out everyone on the block is low. Also redeveloping often does not make sense as with 5-6 units the rent on existing units would be quite good and this value is destroyed if redeveloped

TMNT and Stan like this.
  5. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

The fact that a unit has a big back yard and space to park a trailer could matter very much I think.
    As someone posted on another thread, what's the difference to a house on a small block (other than you can develop etc)

The Y-man

Joynz likes this.
  6. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

So when it comes to units, floor area matters more than land size?

A 200sqm floor area on a 250sqm land will be worth more than a 100sqm floor area on a 400sqm land.

7. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

I think it depends on the difference. If one has a courtyard of 12m2 and next door has 14m2.... I don't think anyone is going to care.

Sometimes though, the difference is huge. My unit has another carport, 2 sheds, a spa and a patio. Next door has none of that. Mine is without a doubt more valuable and easier to sell.

8. The Gambler

The Gambler Well-Known Member

I think location is the number 1 factor when it comes to apartments. People will accept a smaller apartment in an amazing location, but the opposite isn't quite true. A large apartment is an average area is of course always a good thing, but it doesn't attract like location does.

wooster and jimmy like this.
  9. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Let's just clear something up - I think @Stan is talking about "units" in Victorian speaks. Apologies to other states, but this means townhouse/villa in other state lingo, not "apartments".

The Y-man

Ko Ko Naing and Angel like this.
  10. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Zoning is more important. If the current zoning allows more or less intensive use of the site, this will have a greater bearing on value.

hammer likes this.
  11. kaibo

kaibo Well-Known Member

even better is taking a bet on area which may be rezoned in the future as if zoning is already good the price is already built it

12. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

Lots of monash area now being rezoned. esp clayton parts off clayton rd towards the university

13. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

Where do you get your information on areas which are getting rezoned?

14. Eric Wu

Eric Wu Well-Known Member

large size ( internal + balcony + yard ) means more strata levy, usually higher value comparing with smaller ones in the same block.