Does it irritate you when the price is not listed?

Discussion in 'Property Information Resources & Tools' started by Dan Donoghue, 6th Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

Just saw a listing with this price:

Price: For Sale by Nathan Strudwick

For some reason it really irritates me (like an irrational amount it's actually a little disturbing how I let it bother me enough to post about it lol). Can't they just put a price or indication or even "Make an offer" or "All offers accepted"? We know it's for sale by you Nathan you cretin, you are the one who made the listing!!!!.

2. Ald

Ald Well-Known Member

For both renting and buying, the process is made deliberately frustrating by agents. This is to ensure that you get angry and frustrated and have to buy quickly. Home opens are these short affairs so that others are also there at the same time to make you think something is a rush.

Try get an agent to open your home for a two hour period so that more people can come.

Investors here actually bellieve that you can get everybody through in the ten minutes the lazy agents open up a property. What's more they don't do the maths. A real estate agent doesn't care if a property is vacant for 5 weeks because the rent is too high, their ulterior motive always, ALWAYS, is to frustrate owners also so that they may sell their property so that they can earn commission because property management has no money in it.

I have one property left under management at the moment. The reason is that there is a vulnerable family living in it and the rent is dirt cheap and it's in Perth while I am not. I don't make any money on it but let's just say a tragedy is being avoided. They are a handful the tenants for various reasons but nobody will help them if I don't. The multiple property managers I have had over the years have thankfully shown me all the tricks they play and really they are all useless. ALL OF THEM.

I am sorting things out and getting rid of the property managers and probably selling the place, but a few things have to line up. I manage my own properties and from what I have learnt by now, it turns out to be easy if you prepare a property properly to be maintenance free and you pick the right tenant and treat them with courtesy and respect as your valued clients.

3. Dan Donoghue

Nice writeup, Thanks :). I didn't realise this, I am one of those "hard to sell to" people who isn't swayed by these tactics, if I buy something I know what it is, how much I am paying and where I am buying it from (and that it is in stock). The young sales kids always seem a little lost as I walk in and tell them exactly what I want and they start trying to sell me the product, it's like "Kid, i am already buying it, you don't need to sell it to me" "Oh but did you know it has a variable flange bracket" "Yes, That's why I chose it".

I can't be upsold to and I have a fairly short attention span for marketing crap. I see anything other than a price or something relevant I just close it, I don't even click in to the property.

Yes I could be missing out but oh well, there are always more properties out there for sale :).

Jasmine likes this.
  4. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

If this is on a major RE website (realestate, domain etc) the listings contain a price guide (for sorting and filtering purposes) but are just hidden. You can find the price guide for any property by setting a filter of say "max $500k" and see whether it drops off the results or not. Alternatively, sort by price and observe the prices of the properties before and after it.

5. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

Not having an address annoys me more.

6. Dan Donoghue

Oh god yes, that is annoying, Address to me is kind of important when looking for a property :).

7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

What's worse: $ negotiable; $ Offers; no price indicated or a wildly inaccurate price guide?

Luke T and Dan Donoghue like this.
  8. Dan Donoghue

aussieB, Redwing and Sasim like this.
  9. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Not listing a price is irritating to me, not because I can't work out what it should be (this is my day job as a BA), but because you cannot instantly see the agent's or the vendor's expectations.
    Not listing an address is even more irritating, because I get tired of having to call agents and go through secretaries and wait for call-backs, only to find the property is on a main road or some other inferior location, which means I would have passed over it anyway. It's just such a time-waster to satisfy a selling agent's desire to build their private database. :mad:

10. Mitchell

Mitchell Active Member

On realestate.com.au if you go into the source code of the sales listing you'll be able to find the price the agent has listed the property at.

If using Chrome press Ctrl+U or right click and select 'view page source'.

Search for "listPrice:" - it will be there.

11. JesseT

JesseT Well-Known Member

Yeah I always take that as main road

12. Dan Donoghue

Holy crap that's brilliant!!!

Gypsyblood and highlighter like this.
  13. Shawn

Shawn Well-Known Member

That ListPrice trick is a great one. Thank you so much ! :)

Dan Donoghue likes this.
  14. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

You can also do it on internet explorer however this just shows the hidden search range not the actual authority list price.

Dan Donoghue likes this.
  15. Big Will

@Dan Donoghue I just found out you can find your property address by searching the source for '

class="address"

And it will appear on the line just after it.

I have used a sample size of one for this haha.

Dan Donoghue likes this.
  16. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

In northern suburbs of adl where I do a lot of work, if its POA or Contact Agent, its generally because the vendor expectations are so unrealistic the agent is too embarrased to list it as it will result in 0 enquiries rather than at least some

Dan Donoghue likes this.
  17. Dan Donoghue

I thought that too but I believe this is the real estate address :)

18. Big Will

Sorry try

street-address

This sample is 2 from 2 :)

Edit: Scrap it that was the agents address :(

Dan Donoghue likes this.
  19. Dylan33

Dylan33 Well-Known Member

Can you talk me through this. Where do I find the "source code"?

Dan Donoghue likes this.
  20. Dan Donoghue

Right click on the page and click "View Source" or "View Page Source"

It will open in a new tab

Press CTRL-F to find and type "listPrice:" without the double quotes.

Look at the number next to this when it finds it.

Tranquilo and Mitchell like this.