Does Australia Need China??

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by MTR, 22nd May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Which country did you study in? If it was Australia, then why study in Australia rather than somewhere else, is what I am interested in understanding. What is the attraction of Australia to Chinese students, given I thought their own universities are world class.

2. Duck1234

Duck1234 Well-Known Member

Australia cannot even manufacture buttons and zippers. Without China, there will be a lot of stuff you can't buy anymore in Australia, starting with cloths.

The stuff China needs from Australia are all substitutable. Iron Ore can be sourced from Brazil and agri America and China strictly speaking doesn't even need to import agri products.

Last edited: 21st Jun, 2020
    David_SYD likes this.
  3. Melbourne_guy

Melbourne_guy Well-Known Member

Something serious has gone down for ScoMo to make the issue public but if China are responsible for the cyber-security attacks (and there has been no release from Govt to dismiss those suspicions), that should be the catalyst to eradicate the problem and reduce reliance. No country can continue having an in-depth trading relationship with a country who are continually trying to seriously harm them. Take note, Daniel Andrews and your BRI folly.

Continuing along the same path doing nothing will still end in tears in the long-term.

ART, craigc, C-mac and 5 others like this.
  4. David_SYD

David_SYD Well-Known Member

Australia is one of the most reliant Countries in the first world. There’s no two ways about that. They need to tread very carefully.

5. trinity168

trinity168 Well-Known Member

On CN relations with the rest of the world - a TED talk by Kevin Rudd, 5 years ago.

The west should tread carefully with CCP.

6. Duck1234

100% agree with the need to reduce reliance. But I do think ScoMo is very pro-American so I won't really thing it really means something serious is going on. Spying actives happen all the time and there is no reason to think right now there would be more of it. Is there anything that Australia have right now that is worth more spying activities. I don't think so. I think ScoMo is the issue. I don't mind him as a person but he doesn't strike me as a person that is able to strike a balance between China and US. A great example of how that can be done see Jacinda Ardern. We really need a better guy to be honest.

7. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

My take is that Chinese Unis have indeed become formidable in the rankings - but the rising rankings and prestige means there are very limited spots for the average student there, and I imagine many spots would be taken/kept for families of high ranking officials and party members.

The Y-man

trinity168 likes this.
  8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

NZ export to China is no where close in terms of dollar value to what Australia exports. so perhaps We are far more reliant on China??

I think you will also find that many countries are not happy with China atm, Australia just one of many.

New Zealand Government Stokes Tensions With China | Scoop News

9. Duck1234

I am just saying Jacinda is smart. She is very neutral when it comes to US/China unlike Scotty from marketing. Even the German Chancellor Merkel is so much more better at staying natural than Scotty.

Yes Australia needs to be less reliant. That is for sure but while we are trying to move away from our biggest customer, a doze of intelligence is required in dealing with the China/US relation which Scotty is clearly lacking, but some other prime minsters have demonstrated how it can be done

10. hieund85

hieund85 Well-Known Member

And the ranking can be boosted artificially. High ranking does not mean better education experience.

11. hieund85

The stuff Australia buy from China can be sourced from other countries too (India, Vietnam, Bangladesh, Indonesia, etc.). Maybe a bit more expensive, maybe less diversified. But it is no different to China buying coal/iron ore/agri products from US/NZ. So hard to say who rely on the other more. Although I think AU may need China slightly more than the other way around taking into account the high dependence of AU unis on Chinese students and the consequential impact on the overall economy (services, real estate, etc).

albanga likes this.
  12. hieund85

Scomo is like a Trump's fan boy.

13. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

They pumped a lot of money into it - getting researchers and top academics from all over the world to go over. Hard for a researcher/academic to say no when they offer almost unlimited budgets - even from top US and UK unis.

The Y-man

14. hieund85

Yep, that's one part of the artifical boost I was referring to. But students (PhD, postdoc, or Ms by research) may not have a very good exp there. Super high pressure, paper farming without any meaningful result, bully/modern slavery are not uncommon. Have met/known a lot of cases like that. Of course, there are people thriving from that too. At least, China has proper industry to work with the unis. Australia does not, that's a really sad thing.

Anchor likes this.
  15. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

To the contrary China's economic growth depends on infrastructure built with our ore. We can get cheap crap produced anywhere in Asia or Africa. Brazil is limited in what it can supply, they are decommissioning tailing dams and some mines are shut down. New approvals are unlikely because their mines and rain are causing disaster, deaths and lawsuits. That is why there has been a big jump in Iron Ore prices Even if approved they could be sent broke from compensation claims. China is not the only country that makes buttons and zippers other countries are more competetive now. Companies such as Philipps are already moving production out of China to India. Alot of stuff is coming from South Korea Bangladesh and Pakistan now, and it is cheaper and better quality. It cant get malting barley from US because the US only grows 500,000t, (corn is much more profitable as yeilds are much lower and price premium negligible) FTA with Mexico means 400,00mt goes there and they need some for the traditional premium market Japan. Of course China needs to import agriproducts what are the millions of pigs, cattle and chickens they eat every week going to be fed? There has been a boom in Hay exports, if you havent noticed all the large sheds and container loading facilities popping up everywhere, increasing % of cereals are being cut for hay and export to Asia. A lot of the grain traders are international conglomerates they only have X amount of grain, the origin of grain doesnt affect global supply and demand which self modulates production and prices,

Last edited: 21st Jun, 2020
    ART, Ardi, C-mac and 3 others like this.
  16. trinity168

trinity168 Well-Known Member

17. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

18. Cousinit

Cousinit Well-Known Member

Pollution of agriculture in China is a terrible problem. Remember the melamine scandal back in 2008 when numerous babies got sick and a lot died? They don't trust their own products, hence demand for infant formula from us is so strong and also other products.

Bunbury likes this.
  19. Cousinit

Cousinit Well-Known Member

MTR likes this.
  20. Waterboy

Waterboy Well-Known Member

China isn't Asia.
    Asia isn't China.

[​IMG]

C-mac, albanga, Bunbury and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.