QLD Does anyone know anything about Wishart as a suburb for an IP?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Dan Donoghue, 26th Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

I have been looking around suburbs in Adelaide and Brisbane to gather some info and I came across Wishart. It's only 15 K's from Brisbane and it seems to have decent reviews from people who live there: http://finance.ninemsn.com.au/suburb.aspx?suburbID=40024 A good demographic: http://myboot.com.au/4122/Wishart/demographics.aspx and the rental returns seem to be fairly good: http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-wishart-120064953

This is all internet findings though, does anyone know anything about this suburb personally or through personal research?

2. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

I grew up in Burbank and went to school in Wishart (well grade 1-3).

It is a decent suburb it just doesn't match my criteria of being near a train station or the busway. This is the biggest negative factor for me, it does have regular buses though.

It has excellent access to the airport, gold or sunshine coast and I found it easy to get to the city via freeway on Klump road.

Dan Donoghue likes this.
  3. Dan Donoghue

Thanks Big Well, appreciate your input :).

4. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Same here, I'm not a fan of being too far away from a train station.
    I think it's nice, but not sure of what the market's doing there.
    It's easy access to the Gateway and M1. Not too far to Garden City either.

Dan Donoghue likes this.
  5. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Portfolio Perth Brisbane Sydney Melbourne
    I like the feel of the area...not too sure though due to distance from Garden City.... I take it the bus route links there though?

Dan Donoghue likes this.
  6. Dan Donoghue

7. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Yeah not somewhere I would live without a car.
    Would be Ok if they still had the buses with the bike racks on the front.
    I think there's a bikeway that goes most of the way to the City from memory?

Dan Donoghue likes this.
  8. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Recommended with reservations .
    Reservations being primarily the lack of public transport to the CBD.
    I like it more of a PPOR rather than IP.

Dan Donoghue likes this.
  9. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

I don't know about the bikeway but I been in Melbourne nearly 10 years now and even longer since Burbank.

However cbf riding a bike that distance, I hardly ride my bike to the corner shop! If it was a motorbike maybe lol

Azazel and Dan Donoghue like this.
  10. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

@Big Will Haha, that's why I said bus with bike racks. You can ride to the bus stop, put your bike on, get off at the City then tell people you rode to the City!

Big Will and Dan Donoghue like this.
  11. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

Dan Donoghue likes this.
  12. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

Whilst I agree that living close to train station is good, it also has some setbacks.
    Also, do know that Wishart is quite a large suburb, and divided by a busy road (Mt Gravatt-Capalaba Road). I know people who live really close to the Bus Depot and get a seat every morning, and time to the city only take 15-20 minutes from their house. There is also a Rocket Bus another route which only runs during peak hour. It really depends on the street. Go to translink.com.au to search for your street.
    It certainly has a homely feel, perhaps not for the clubbing type. But then again, plenty of apartments are coming up in the next suburb Upper Mount Gravatt, so the residents are just too happy that they are not yet that busy.

13. pugstar205

pugstar205 Well-Known Member

Channel 9 news did a report tonight about the top 5 searched suburbs in Brisbane on RE.com. Holland Park was #1 and Wishart #5. They featured an open house inspection that apparently had 55 people through.
    The horse may have already bolted so to speak.

14. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

the horse is just doing some gallops in the barn in for those suburbs. Hasn't bolted yet.

15. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Well...

Wishart.jpg Holland.jpg

Last edited: 27th Jun, 2015
  16. pugstar205

pugstar205 Well-Known Member

I don't know that suburb personally, but when it's featured on Ch7 or Ch9's news as a 'Hot Spot', it's usually fair to assume the horse has bolted, set-up home elsewhere and died of old age. They only report on what's already occured - buyer demand and souring prices. I've never seen them tip a suburb that isn't already performing otherwise there's no story.

17. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I know the suburb a little, have a friend living there thinking of moving out of her PPOR and turning it into a rental but staying fairly close. I had searches on and was sending her houses of interest. I've not noticed that any horse has bolted. Haven't noticed prices galloping up (took off searches over a month ago though).

You can still get a good family home (like hers), three beds one bath upstairs, extra bed, extra bath downstairs and another living area, for mid $500K last time I looked. There are also parts of the suburb I wouldn't touch with a barge pole.

18. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

The. Demand to supply stats show good numbers for a lot of brisbane suburbs. Look at the explanation as to how they were produced; the avg site visits to re.come both buy and sold division by availability. This only gives a 'sentiment' picture to me, does not mean there are offers..just that people have searched for those suburbs on the website.

19. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

I lived close to Wishart for about 7 years, close to Garden city and Mt Gravatt, no train nearby but plenty of bus routes to the CBD either via Newman rd or Garden city. Main attraction is Mansfield SHS.
    I think it will do well as will nearby suburbs, if I had identical properties to consider I would pick Upper Mt Gravatt or Mt Gravatt Central first due to proximity to services, transport and the CBD but it should do well over time.

20. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Yeah I agree..I too think these areas will do well, will do better if near public transport nodes obviously. if u can get something within walking distance to pub transport, then go for it...assuming price is right of course.