Does anyone buy the same shares in different/multiple portfolios?

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by KayTea, 17th May, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

Given that SMSF money is not able to be touched by many people for years/decades into the future, but funds in a personal portfolio can be removed whenever the owner feels like it, does anyone ever analyse any shares and decide to buy them through both vehicles?

I know this may sound silly (as there may not be any diversification being recognised), however wouldn't buying LICs and ETFs etc help provide this diversification?

I'm interested to hear people's thoughts and experiences, and reasons for and against this.

2. PandS

PandS Well-Known Member

I buy in both
    They both usually have the same shares if I done the research I just buy both in personal name and smsf

I believe if you know what you are doing then diversification is not required, my portfolio is concentrate on 2 dozen stocks and that is it
    Whether I got a million or 10 millions it will still be in the awesome dozen

I don’t like EFT and Index tracking ... I can do the same thing but I weed out rubbish business I don’t want to own via buying individual business
    I think is best of breed .

KayTea likes this.
  3. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

I only invest in funds but replicate some of the same ones inside and outside SMSF depending on tax effectiveness. Tax effective funds are held both in SMSF and personal names. Tax ineffective assets such as cash / bonds / term deposits (and property or funds with high turnover if desired) are held mostly in the SMSF.

We can live on income from personal assets alone. But overtime mandatory Super pension withdrawals will require us to transfer assets from SMSF to own names. Having mostly the same assets in both SMSF and own names makes the process easy. No thinking required.

KayTea likes this.
  4. pwnitat0r

pwnitat0r Well-Known Member

I don't own any individual stocks, but the two funds I have money invested in are the same for my personal name and super... so I would essentially own the same stocks in both.

Good ideas (and/or funds) are very hard to come by, so when you have a good idea it makes sense to own in both personal name and super IMO.

KayTea likes this.
  5. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Our ownership strategy is to buy
    1. Shares in our SMSF for asset protection, income tax and CGT reasons
    2. Property in trusts (CGT reasons) and personal names (land tax, leverage and use of offset reasons)
    So, for us, no duplication of assets in multiple entities.