Dodgy plumber

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by JesseT, 27th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. JesseT

JesseT Well-Known Member

March 2014 had a water main burst and PM's sent out their plumber who repaired the leak, total cost was around $750 which was very hefty to dig into some sand and replace a fitting but I didn't really have any options.

March 2015 another leak from main, same plumber goes out and again replaces a fitting, $850 this time.

October 2015 another leak!
    Different plumber goes out, tells me the plumbing is all wrong, main is illegal low pressure hose and leak is from previous repair which is very dodgy and done by a handyman at best!
    He recommended replacing the entire main with the correct main and he did this for $1100 and has guaranteed the main for 10 years +.

I have now looked into the first plumber further who appears to be unlicensed.

PM has told me they are looking into the matter, I have requested a refund for all work.

What are my options? Not going to let this just slide, dodgy trades is one thing that we can't stand for, my current plans are to leave it with the PM and if unsuccessful for a refund, contact fair trading.
    Also been wondering if PM is responsible for using unlicensed trades?

Any advice for me?

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

PM shouldn't be sending a handyman to do plumber's work, apart from being illegal could lead to other issues.

If you have a copy of the plumber's receipt, it could be reported to fairy trading

3. datto

datto Well-Known Member

See what PM does. Otherwise get a hold of invoice from dodgy plumber (you should have this anyway). Get his licence number. Go from there. Ask for refund or consider Dept of Unfair Trading.

4. Lil Skater

Lil Skater Well-Known Member

PM responsible to ensure tradespeople are licensed and insured.

See what the PM does about the refund, but report to fair trading either way to ensure the "plumber" doesn't get away with it again.

5. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Should the pm be refunding the money as they were responsibly for hiring "competent and licenced trades people". Pm can then chase the dollars from captain dodgy

6. JesseT

JesseT Well-Known Member

Can anyone answer this?

Have both invoices from previous dodgy work. No licence number on invoice and I have done a name search for a trade licence with no matches.
    However his company name is 'xxxxxx plumbing' to suggest otherwise.

Will have absolutely no problems proving his incompetence if there is any kind of investigation.

7. Lil Skater

Lil Skater Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if the PM is liable to refund it, but it's good business practice.

If there was an issue with someone I hired on my owners behalf, which was caused due to my negligence (i.e. No license) then I would refund. Each to their own.

8. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

I just hope you have some photos of the work ,because people that work like this change the business plan every week and are not interested in quality work,just the numerical performance in cash flow..

9. JesseT

JesseT Well-Known Member

After the manager failing to get in contact with the plumber over the last few weeks, I wrote a letter asking for a refund from the agent.

Heard back today from the principal who agreed with the unfair position we are in and will refund both invoices from Mr dodgy + unlicensed plumber, no further questions asked.

Thanks for the input all, happy ending this time!

S.T likes this.
  10. Special order

Special order Well-Known Member

What state?

11. JesseT

JesseT Well-Known Member

NSW

12. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Great news and its what I would have expected if I was either the client or the agent in this scenario.

13. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

It is a PM's responsibility to have a copy of a tradesmens licence in their office, this REA office is guilty of negligence.

14. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

Report to fair trading. in vic report it to the building commission or VBA now. unlicensed trades will normally face prosecution and fines. the PM should also be accountable as it is his job to ensure things are fixed properly

Never get unlicensed plumbers as it will affect the warranty of other items and possibly invalidate your insurance.

15. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Good to see they fixed for you, they should be making sure licensed and insured....