Do you tell your workmates?

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by MyDarlinghurst, 1st Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MyDarlinghurst

MyDarlinghurst Well-Known Member

Silly me sometimes makes a mistake in discussing my passion for property investing with a workmate who then tells other workmates etc .

It leads to conflict and jealously.

Vary rarely in my job do we work weekends and especially over a public holiday weekend however 2 people from my Department were rostered on over the Easter Saturday resulting in double time and half rates and a weekday off.

One of the girls rostered on was humming and harring about how her weekend was now screwed etc so i offered to swap her shift for one of my weekday shifts.
    I still would get double time and half rates plus a weekday off.

I kept offering her all week as she kept complaining about working.
    Yesterday i heard she called in sick , so instead of swapping shifts with me she just called in sick so doesnt get the penalty rate money and loses a sick day and screws me who offered to swap with her.

Now im on the phone this morning with a good work colleague friend who told me this lady had every intention to call in sick and that she had Overheard her tell staff on the floor that she wouldnt give it to me as i had too much money with properties.

Now its been quite awhile now maybe a few years since i tell people or talk about property investing as i notice some people get jealous.

This particular lady who is 54yo lives and still rents in Penrith had asked me once for a name of a mortgage broker , other than that i had little conversation with her about property.other than listening to her tell me about how great the Phillipines is.

This is why when you talk it leads to gossip.

I am angry yes that she could of swapped with me and saved her sick day but instead she chose to be spiteful thats why i believe its not a good udea to tell people you own 5 properties, they dont realise you have loans on these and are saving hard to pay them off.

People get jealous,unfortanetely and spiteful.:oops:

Last edited: 1st Apr, 2018
  2. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

There are many things I dont discuss with workmates: my volunteer roles, my spouse/children/siblings/parents, my social calendar, my dealings with others, my financial situation etc etc....

I have nothing to hide, but I am selective as to whom I share my personal life with nowadays.
    Perhaps I'll put it in such a way that I do not want to rub onto them unnecessarily. Humans are interesting creatures; some are willing to learn from others' experiences, some feel inadequate, some didnt believe your story and thought there might be more to it....

I remember when I was a teenager, my classmate was very ill and I brought her some medications my parents got from the clinic. Mind you we live in a rural area so that's worth something. She didnt appreciate it and couldnt understand why my parents could get that but not her parents.... Doesnt matter the fact that I walked a mile to deliver the medication to her! Well, I didnt learn after that, it took me twenty years to realise that!

It's Easter, just be compassionate and pray for their understanding one day. Thank God you have some financial wisdom :)

Jess Peletier likes this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

And you couldn't wrangle an emergency call into work to provide coverage?

4. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

But if she is who you say she is and you are you who she says you are, then why get upset. You should feel pity for her because you will never understand her mindset, like she will not understand yours.

5. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

What a *****!!!

Turn up to work. On Monday Open a bottle of Dom perignon. Take a sip. Complain how **** it is.
    Pour it on the office plant and then proceed to complain you can't find your Ferrari keys.

6. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

I don’t have any workmates because I don’t actually work anymore.
    However, even when I was working until last year, I never told nobody nothing for the whole time we were building up the asset base which allowed me to retire.

KayTea and MTR like this.
  7. MyDarlinghurst

How did you communicate in your workplace ?
    No one gossiped ???

No one asked you questions like the old stickbeaks in my office?
    Who do u live with? Why arent you married? Etc etc

8. MyDarlinghurst

These people are what you call "toxic" , they have big chips on their shoulders.

There usually in "cliques" gossiping about others.

Jealous at others success.

I now try not to let their "anger" or their bad day vibes come onto me.

There is a man in our office late 30's who goes every year to Thailand and Cambodia and yes jealously again from others ,....you can imgaine what they gossip behind his back and not good allegations either.but they are jealous because he is still single and can travel a few times a year.

Now if someone gossips i dont reply to them

9. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Well I was kind of a co-boss figure, business owner and director of the (smallish) company, so probably regarded as next level to the regular employees.
    Still, nobody ever asked me about anything investment related and I would have tried to help if I could, and probably would have divulged details if anyone was really genuinely keen, but nobody ever asked even the smallest details.

I did overhear quite a few negative comments about home ownership being impossible these days and some typical generalization newbie talk on how to invest, but I didn’t get involved.

It’s funny how the ones the most vocal in giving advice are the ones least likely to take action themselves.

The sentiment to property investment in the workplace is generally negative.

10. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Retired now, but when working I never shared personal facts unless relevant to a conversation. I figured it was my business and not anyone else’s.
    Arg

11. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I've rented a property to 2 work colleagues in the past.

Then a psycho at work wanted to rent my place but I declined (I don't rent to people who are crazier than me lol).

He took it pretty badly and became my worse enemy. He had the cops come to my work and tried to have me charged.

In hindsight, I wouldn't tell people at work about personal investments.

12. MyDarlinghurst

Funny you say that , a few years ago when i was more of a talker at work i had a alcholic and gambler colleague ( since sacked) wanting to rent my City IP

I told him to go thru the agent and he wasnt happy , ever since then he ignored me when passing me in the lift etc And i didnt careless ,in fact i prefer he didnt talk to me.

The same when i was in the staff room on a break i mentioned to several workmates about my tap leaking , a nosy man colleague offered to come around and fix it for free , pratically begged me to come around but i knew he would be gossiping about my home to others if i let him so i told him no which he didnt take that well as he wanted to stickybeak his nose into my life.

13. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

Anything said in the workplace will probably get around fast.... if there's anybody you'd rather not know, then don't tell anyone anything.

I've come across a work colleague only very rarely that likes to discuss anything financially related & when it has occurred, I've been a little shocked at how little they understand about financial matters. I believe that those that do know tend to have tight lips.

Lizzie likes this.
  14. datto

datto Well-Known Member

15. VB King

VB King Well-Known Member

No way. Not with my workmates, that kind of chatter gets back to the employer.

Why give fuel to human nature: assumption?

We have a fixed salary increase budget every year within a business unit: reality you are competing for a slice of a fixed sized pie. Employer could assume you don’t need a salary increase, a couple of hypothetical (yet contradictory) assumption based reasons;

- simply “because VB King is a rich property investor so doesn’t need it (and won’t care)” ... and by the way we can look like heroes by making a saving,

or,

- we really need to retain <Bob> so we’ll give him a good salary increase this year instead of VB King, “VB King is going to stay anyway, because he is a property investor he must have an enormous mortgage so he will never leave anyway”.

Both assumptions are wrong. (Yes my mortgage is enormous but it wouldn’t stop me leaving!).

Maybe I’m paranoid, but I don’t think so.

As an expatriate, the only thing I chat about, in the hope it gets back to my employer, is how expensive living here is. I am very well versed at explaining all of the financial disadvantages of being an expat.

16. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

You can’t really control how other people feel.
    You can only do what you do and say what you want to say, the fact that they get jealous, spiteful or whatever is their own reaction and it has nothing to do with you.

She could have chosen to be happy for you but she chose to get jealous. That’s her stuff not yours.

I don’t make anything about me, people can react how they want, they are the ones that have to live with those thoughts. I choose better thoughts for me.

inertia, MTR, EN710 and 1 other person like this.
  17. Eric Wu

Eric Wu Well-Known Member

at my previous work, some (very small number) ppl were investing themselves, they didn't want to discuss their investment at tea or lunch breaks. after they found out I invested in properties, the topic opened a bit. but overall experience was not positive, jealousy was the main issue, many of these corporate colleagues don't want to see other ppl doing better than themselves ( especially when they are higher in the corporate ladder).

18. MyDarlinghurst

Some good advce .. but i dont think i will treat this lady the same after this.
    She likes to tell me sometimes in the Staff room during coffee breaks about her Grandchildren going to Uni in the Phillipines etc and i pretend to be interested when in reality im not.
    Next time she tries telling me im going to be as nasty as her and ignore her.:mad:

19. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Aren't you tempted to ask how can they afford that in a country where the education at uni is more expensive than here (possibly)?

20. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

She is 54 and she has grandchildren at Uni? I'd want to know about child marriage in Catholic countries.

MTR likes this.