House & Home Do you prefer to live in an Apartment or a House?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by fullylucky, 4th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Do you prefer to live in an Apartment or a House?

1. Apartment

2. House

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Abradolf Lincler

Abradolf Lincler Well-Known Member

Was listening to a podcast recently which had an interview with a guy who has been training dogs for over 20 years. He said the idea that small dogs are better suited to flats is a myth. It's actually the other way around - large dogs are better suited for small spaces.

Sidenote: when I get a dog, it will be a German Shepherd. There are no other breeds, as far as I'm concerned.

2. Poppy

Poppy Well-Known Member

Apartment - always loved them more.

Houses bring many many negatives especially constant maintainence, worries, leaking roofs (apparently all roofs leak some of the time?!), noise noise noise - lawn mowers leaf blowers power tools builders. Poor walking index.

Their positives such as privacy are easy to obtain with the right apartment (not some slum with 100s residents, noisy neighbours etc)

I love location security safety apartments

I don't have any time to upkeep a house or even walk there!!

Women tend to like apartments for the lower responsibility of house issues /tradies and for their excellent security and cafes next door...

sharon likes this.
  3. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

House for PPOR in and houses for investment properties.

In our last apartment we could set the clock daily by one neighbours bowel movements. The lunar cycle was set by another neighbours screaming matches with her boyfriend and a third managed to get a bit fairly regularly on a bi-annual basis.

Our backyard is also surrounded by vegetation. It's nice and private. My wife finds the gardening therapeutic.

For investments, the capital growth and rental growth tends to be better for houses. You don't have to deal with strata corporations, it's your investment, not a shared one.

mitsui likes this.
  4. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Peter, I suppose what you're saying is that if you have nice and respectful neighbours, then either is a great choice, both with different kinds of perks.

Given your experience (of which I can relate to, due to experiencing a young family with two of the unhappiest toddlers in the suburb deciding to put floorboards in their flat, with substandard insulation and the most incompetent parents having a self-centred DGAF attitude...), I concur with your view...

5. Anthony416

Anthony416 Well-Known Member

House because you have some space from the neighbours, room for a dog and no strata corps. Also a house gives you a feeling of having your own "castle" :)

6. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

And there's a lot more room for installing hydroponic equipment than a flat?

7. Anthony416

Anthony416 Well-Known Member

"Castle" not "Grass Castle" ;)

8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Latest census results - families can and so live in units. Many suburbs exceed 50% in units including the outer suburbs. Take note education planners.

9. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Why do they call them apartments when they push people closer together rather than apart?

Should they call houses "apartments" and apartments "togetherments"?

10. Corey Batt

Corey Batt Well-Known Member

House all the way - all the benefits with none of the downsides for my lifestyle.

The only downside is having gardens to do, but thats what gardeners are for.

11. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

An 80 storey house.

Best of both worlds.

12. hozi

hozi Well-Known Member

House all the way but tend to be thinking about Apartment now as I get older

13. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

House, always lived in one so I am biased.
    I have total control, have back yard, front yard, pool, veggie garden, dog living inside, can render it, can rebuild it, so much more flexibility and control.
    Own units too but dislike the strata, other people to deal with, special levies, or some of the decisions they make. Maintenance takes ages to approve and it is often hard to compare if quotes are not apples with apples, etc...
    Even though a house may cost more you have more privacy, control and flexibility in decision making!
    I like that....................