Do we need a project manager?

Discussion in 'Development' started by wylie, 27th Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We are going to start our DA process this year. It is a staged development and first step involves moving a house forward (lifting at the same time) and reconfiguring the block and having new titles issued.

We could pay a project manager for the whole thing, but the initial steps (moving the house, having new titles issued, up to the time we hire a builder) don't faze us. We just need to know we've not missed something in the order things have to be organised and completed.

I've been told our first step is to engage a surveyor to peg out the position for moving of the house. Then we engage the house raiser. House raiser says we can hire a builder or they can do the whole thing including new stairs etc.

I know we have to get services to the newly created back block, etc.

I called the surveyor who was engaged as part of the DA process. After speaking with me, he said it was clear that we were capable of doing the different steps, but that having never done this before, we would need help in knowing what the steps were, and ensuring we don't miss anything.

He suggested we could engage a project manager to do the whole job up to the point we have a block ready to build. But he realises that we are capable of doing most of this and really just need someone to guide us through, tell us what the next step is, and let us get that done, come back to him and find out the next step, etc.

He offered for between $2.5k and $3k, he would take on a limited role of guiding us through the steps outlined in the council approval, and as we complete the necessary work, go back to him to confirm what the next step is.

We don't want to get to Step 5 and realise we've missed Step 4.

My hubby has worked in areas that he could work through the many pages of the approvals, and a complicated document doesn't scare him, but this is all very new and we cannot afford to (for example), lay a driveway and realise we've forgotten to place services under it (that sort of thing).

We will be dealing with getting services to the new block, and we know two developers who have told us the battles they've had, the cost savings they've made by knowing what to look out for, what can be outsourced, what must be done by the local authority etc. These developers are not green like we are, but they still have had battles to get things done, so we could find ourselves out of our depth very quickly.

I've thought about asking them to help us, but I'd prefer to keep friendships and business separate.

Is a surveyor a good fit for coaching us through the steps (we have a staged approval)? Or is there another profession (project manager "lite") that we should shop around for?

And I'm also open to hearing that we should pay a project manager from the start if that seems sensible.

Last edited: 1st Feb, 2018
    bob shovel and Perthguy like this.
  2. Closet

Closet Well-Known Member

Having done both scenarios with and without -it really depends how much time you have to assume the role, the impact on cost of any mistakes and the amount of stress you want in your lives at that point in time!. The main benefit of doing it all yourself is the wealth of knowledge you gain as well as the networks you make in the process. I really enjoyed the challenge and allowed me to manage other similar da based projects. On the other hand having used a pm also - it went like clockwork and alot smoother than when i did it but did cost extra - so it depends based on what perspective you take and what your budget is...

Last edited by a moderator: 1st Feb, 2018
    MTR and wylie like this.
  3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I learnt along the way
    Also, Got help from developer friends and my builder. Harder doing it from out of State.

I would not bother paying for PM, huge expense not necessary, you will learn alot doing it yourself. Thats just my opinion

Mtr

Rooky and wylie like this.
  4. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

it's time consuming but not rocket science. I have seen good PM's save money and time (eg telling the engineer they over engineered the concrete slab and saving thousands with reduced concrete required).

5. wylie

I've watched a few reno shows where a PM does make savings that more than covered their cost.

Until we get the houses moved to new small lots, and had the block reconfigured into three new lots, revalue and do our sums, we have no idea if we can afford to do the build.

Do you think a PM would take on this job just to the stage of three new lots?

If we go ahead with the build we would either negotiate the next step of having him manage the build for us, or consider locking into a very tight contract with a builder.

To be honest, we are prepared to pay a PM to minimise potentials for mis-steps and/or stress, and make savings if possible.

We are happy to engage the house lifter, arrange services hook-up etc. It is the things we've never done that worry me... getting power to the back block, ensuring the groundworks are done in the right order and we don't miss any steps.

Do you have a recommendation @RPI for a PM that I could speak with. I'd prefer not to just choose from google.

6. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I think the in between quote of the having a surveyor or PM guide you rather than do the work might be a very affordable safety net.

What you are doing isn't a vanilla subdivision and you want to stage it in the most economical way - ie dig a trench for services once, not 3 times etc

It's not rocket science but a guiding hand together with your own time could be much better than going it alone. You can still learn doing it this way but you have someone to learn from rather than learn from your mistakes.

bob shovel and wylie like this.
  7. RPI

Sorry, no one at present.

Once the town planner gets your DA then it has conditions in it. You just need to get QLD Urban Utilities to hook up the services, a concreter to put in the cross overs, have power and comms hooked up and pay your contributions. Then you can get your plans sealed. BCC has a checklist https://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/sites/default/files/cc10491_sealing_of_survey_plan_checklist.pdf
    Once that is down you get a lawyer to lodge your plans and you get new titles.

wylie and Sackie like this.
  8. Luca

Luca Well-Known Member

Good tips above, never done a development but work as PM on bigger projects (full time). It`s not rocket science. If you know people who have done it before, use them as guide and do it by yourself. $20k looks a bit high even if I don`t know exactly the scope of works. Also take into account time you have and how passionate you are about learning. The whole process can bring a lot of stress and additional costs. Is it a one off or the first of many? Also what other things can you do if you outsource the whole lot? When I have this sort of dilemmas I always do two columns: pros/cons and then put a dollar figure including also my time. I would focus more on having a good team around, surveyor, builder, town planner, architect and so on.

wylie likes this.
  9. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

+1, pretty much sums it up.

As a Surveyor we are typically involved from the initial concept through to the final "Work as Executed" sign off and final Deposited Plan ready for lodgement.
    it is not uncommon to find Ex-Surveyors working for large land developers as Project Managers.
    Find a Survey firm that handles development projects and get a few proposals.

@RPI,
    why do you need a lawyer to lodge Survey plans in QLD.
    in NSW we do it via Eplan.

10. RPI

You lodge in person in QLD. You can do it yourself, but they are very old school and picky. If you have easements or a CMS they are drafted by a solicitor anyway. My office is 2 minutes from titles and we lodge there literally everyday. If you don't lodge all the time and stuff something up then it takes time, they don't let you know straight away, they actually post you back the plan with the requisition notice.

Sackie likes this.
  11. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Nothing happens quickly in Qld.

12. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Nothing happens quickly with councils anywhere..

goodtimes and benofbrisbane like this.
  13. benofbrisbane

benofbrisbane Well-Known Member

I reckon you could probably do it yourself. It really isn't rocket science. But if you are concerned about having someone to help you out and provide guidance the surveyor might be the go for you.

14. wylie

Just realised the ballpark figure of $20k didn't come from the surveyor. I think that figure may have been loosely thrown around by a developer friend. I think his bank forced him to pay something like that, even though the bank did its own checks (sending out some sort of bank quantity surveyor) before releasing funds as each stage was reached on his ten townhouse development.

I remember him being annoyed that they forced him to pay for something they were already doing (double up - which seemed pointless to him).

Last edited: 1st Feb, 2018
  15. AnneC

AnneC Well-Known Member

What about getting a building inspector

16. wylie

We got a project manager (from the forum). We are very impressed and so glad we didn't try this ourselves.:eek:;)

17. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Thats exactly what I did, cane in at ariund $1k

18. wylie

There have been many things to work through, problems and hold ups. Without the project manager, I'd be in some type of institution by now.

Worth every cent.

Propin, goodtimes, Sackie and 2 others like this.
  19. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

@wylie
    It's well worth the money. I engage a PM for the subdivision process in Brissy cos being in Syd its just so much easier to have them organize it. And I'm certain they are easily more competent to get it done right and quickly. Then I liaise with the builder during the construction, so I PM that part with regular site visits.

Did you decide to build?

20. wylie

Still pondering... :D (but I think we should).

Sackie likes this.