Do we do basic lift/shift or a complete reno to onsell?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by wylie, 6th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We have to lift a house and move it on the block to allow development. We won't do this for at least another twelve months because rents are so flat that we would be spending $100k to lift/shift (new stairs, slab etc, ready to rent) and have to find a new tenant with rent likely to be less than we are getting now.

I've researched 3x1 and 4x2 rent prices and also sale prices.

Instead of spending $100k with nothing to show for it, we could spend $300k to turn our well maintained but unexciting 3x1 into a more upmarket 4x2.

Doing this would take $200k funds we might want to use down the track, so I guess we could do the reno and decide at the time whether to rent again or sell and take some profit and put proceeds into the sharemarket instead.

We must spend $100k to shift the house. If we can do this reno for an extra $200k (on top of the $100k to lift/shift) that would cost us (IO @ 5%) about $190 per week in interest. Just lifting will cost us nearly $100 per week (IO @ 5%) and we get nothing for that. We certainly cannot ask any extra rent just because the house is higher.

If we do the bigger job, and make the house a 4x2 we would be paying (IO @ 5%) $290 per week interest. I would say there is now way we would get that back if we keep it and rent it. But it seems a well renovated house might see us get what we've spent back if we sell.

I see this as not great return on the $300k spend involved, but if we get back $300k more than the house is worth then it is better than spending $100k for no (or very little) return at all. For the $100k we would have a slab (with plumbing in the slab) so that is part way for someone else to finish and we may get some return on the $100k.

I've always wanted to do another renovation, and this seems like an opportunity without us having to outlay for purchase of the house to reno.

Has anyone done this in Brisbane recently? I guess it is like flipping, but we cannot pinpoint a starting price because the house sits on 900sqm and will end up on 300sqm and will have townhouses behind it. So it isn't as easy as it seems to pinpoint what we lose in land compared to what we gain in house improvement/value.

I will certainly ask some local agents, but I'm curious to hear thoughts from the forum.

2. lightbulbmoment

lightbulbmoment Well-Known Member

Why dont u save the headache which it will be. Knock the house down and put all townhouses?

3. wylie

Cannot knock it down unfortunately.

4. lightbulbmoment

lightbulbmoment Well-Known Member

5. wylie

Character precinct.

6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Not sure about the idea of the slab. A buyer would want to build to your plans. And council may not like the idea of a bare slab and no dwelling. It seems a construction site. Valuation and other problems ??

7. wylie

I'm not sure if I understand the comment @Paul@PFI. The slab would be under the newly lifted house. If we don't pour a slab when the new posts go in, we would have just dirt. We would have to remove the old slab where the house sits now. (Actually hadn't factored that cost in... oops!)

We've had two plans drawn. One just a slab and battens to enclose the lower level. The second plan is the bigger job. We have time to investigate further. I'm just doing some homework in my head.

8. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

This would be what I would do, and indeed what I have done and will do again.

You lift the existing house. You build in underneath. You reconfigure the house so that every room has an ensuite. You have 1 kitchen, 1 laundry. Nice big lounge and a nice deck out the back.

You get that all certified and signed off on. You then spend 2500 to change the classification from 1a dwelling to 1b dwelling. You now spend 500-1000 more on rates. Same insurance cost.

But now you can rent 5 bedrooms to 5 people at $200 a pop because thats what ensuited rooms go for.

Its all council approved in brisbane and completely insured and legal. Rooms rent easy because lots of share accommodation people want an ensuite but there arent a lot of rooms like this around.

You just spent $300k but now you are getting $1000pw rent. After insurance and internet and water and elec and rates you are seeing $800 of that.

Plus youve created an upmarket house. The only strange thing about the property is the number of ensuites. However since when do people mind more ensuites?

Plus youve also potentially increased the value of the property to an investor who can see the massive rent the house can achieve now that its 1b.

High rental yield. High capital growth. Easier to rent. All legal.

Bayview, S.T and evalord like this.
  9. wylie

Thanks @Tim86 for an interesting idea. I'll think on this, but to be honest, we are adding to the block already with four townhouses behind and we would have all the extra cars for this house having to park on the street. And the biggest hurdle is that the house just isn't big enough for five bedrooms and ensuites. It is a smallish cottage now and even if we double the living space, it still is just a cottage on less than a 300sqm block.

I think as a family home, 4x2 (maybe with a powder room as well?) with onsite parking for two cars, it will appeal to a family who doesn't want a big yard.

But I'll certainly run your idea past some local agents and I'll report back to this thread. We have two houses to do, and the other one is larger and that one could well be suited to this idea. It already is rented to four individual people and that one we will likely hold onto... so food for thought.

Tim86 likes this.
  10. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

1 caveat. If its in a flood effected area then that makes it impact assessable. So thats an extra $4500 to a town planner.
    Yeah has to have 3 parking spots for the house and an outdoor entertaining area for it to pass. So you do need a bit of space. Bonafide building approvals do a lot of these so they would be good for a chat.

11. wylie

Thanks @Tim86. The shifting and lifting is approved as part of our DA. My understanding is that we lift and shift, and then when it is on its own small lot, we can apply to build under. We chose the simple path to get the DA through as BCC was very concerned we would try to alter or demolish the houses. We had no intention of doing that, but I understand why they were concerned as there are nearby houses (also not meant to be be touched) that somehow managed to be removed and new houses built.

12. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Yeah thats the way you want to do it. I think if you did what I suggested you really need to do it in stages. Stage 1 certify the da and moving the house. Stage 2 certify the new extension. Stage 3 certify the 1a to 1b. You dont want to do everything in 1 stage and have council say its a new dwelling and needs to comply with wheel chair accessibility. Etc... and you also want to keep it under I think 300m2 because otherwise you have to fire rated walls and ceilings everywhere.

All issues that are easily avoidable though.

wylie likes this.
  13. ycdfdyan

ycdfdyan Well-Known Member

We are actually in the process of converting our shared accommodation property (certified 1b dwelling) into a family home.

The house has five bedrooms and was used to be a shared accommodation. The house used to get $1000+ rent per week; however when you factor in the extra council rates, extra insurance cost, monthly fire safety inspection (this is compulsory for this type of property), extra agent fees, weekly cleaning fees for common areas, utilities, gardening etc. the yield is actually pretty much the same as renting out the entire house to a single household. You also need to think about the target tenants for this type of properties. It just doesn't worth the hassle.

My property is only 2km from the CBD and is close to everything so it was rented out pretty easily in the past; however we have noticed it was getting more and more difficult to rent the rooms out as we just can't compete with the oversupplied brand new apartments. People can easily rent a two bedroom brand new apartment for $400 a week.

In terms of capital gain, the shared accommodation just doesn't have the "homey" feel that owner occupiers are looking for and therefore it doesn't necessarily "add values" to the property IMO.

Marg4000 and wylie like this.
  14. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

I'd be looking at comparables for renovated 4x2 on 300sqm and seeing if you're $300k investment gets a return.
    Keeping it may save you cgt, but I think the yield would be horrendous.. better taking the equity and investing on a better return.

15. wylie

@ycdfdyan I agree with your take on this. Whilst I appreciate the reply from @Tim86 I think making the larger of the two houses into more of a multi-tenant situation will make it hard to sell down the track. It is in very much a family street and not close to any hubs of activity where I think that sort of house would fit in.

We've had a five bedroom, two bathroom house that was rented to students for many years, but the students always found a friend when one left, so we didn't have to advertise. One of our aims is to lower the interaction with leasing and tenants as we get older so I think if we spend money to improve either house, we will turn them into better quality homes that will sell more easily.

Also, I know we can hire a PM, but we also have land tax issues that will get worse as the house values rise and rates, utilities etc. If we do the big reno job and sell, we can minimise the tax by prepaying interest and then look at investing the cash elsewhere to provide income to replace the lost rental income.

@vbplease thank you for your answer. That is what I will do when we are closer to needing to make some decisions. Right now, if we spent even the minimum to lift and move the houses, we would struggle to get the rents we currently do. The $100k spent per house would get us no higher rent.

I think spending say $250k to $300k in total per house would be likely to return at least that and whilst many would say we need to get back what we spend plus some more, it is a little different when we "have" to spend $100k anyway and that $100k spend will give us no more as a rental. It would give us some return if we sell because it provides a house with a slab ready to be built under.

I don't think the higher rental would justify the larger spend, but for a sale I think we could come out with a small profit, or at least break even on the cost to improve the house.

Lots of questions to put to local agents, closer to crunch time.

I do appreciate your comments and I'm happy to hear more.

Tim86 likes this.
  16. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Monthly fire inspections?

How much did that cost?

Rates and insurance are pretty similar. Maybe 1 or 2k more from the quotes I got.

And agreed share accommodation market is tougher now. You have to offer something special to get the tenants. Ensuite and a nice house gets a premium and is easier to rent out

17. ycdfdyan

ycdfdyan Well-Known Member

The fire safety inspection was around $70-80 a month

Tim86 likes this.
  18. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

That cant be right. That almost sounds reasonable.

This is a government required charge isnt it? Where is the bend over factor?

19. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Have you decided on a course of action yet, Wylie?

My first instinct thought was do the lift and full reno option..if the cashflow drain is "only" a further $90 per week...can it be recouped back from the future units somehow?

20. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

The monthly fire inspection is not something I have come across either.

Note that the City Wide Amendment Package A is going to change the Rooming Accom provisions. You won't be able to have sep dwellings anymore, ie Granny flat and house can't be rooming accom. No upstairs downstairs separation, must all be 1.

Tim86 likes this.