NSW Do Sydney retirement village units go up in a boom

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by camilla__, 7th Mar, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. camilla__

camilla__ Member

Thinking of buying retirement village unit in Sydney and renting it out for 3 years till I move in. Hoping Sydney boom will Increase my home so can sell and get more money for retirement. Does anyone no if retirement villages also increase in line with other residential properties. Thanks

2. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Good question. I just bought a place from someone who moved into a retirement village. I'm really curious about this myself.

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

You generally lease the unit (ie buy the leasehold) however you pay for the refurbishment on exit. Prices so fluctuate however the manager take a large % of the uplift in value when resold (not a typical real-estate agent commission).

MyPropertyPro and Stoffo like this.
  4. oasis1frog

oasis1frog Well-Known Member

Very limited buyer pool, I will never pay the price some of the retirement units are asking ?

David_SYD likes this.
  5. skater

skater Well-Known Member

My parents bought into a retirement village probably 25 years ago, in Port Macquarie. They paid $40k for it. Dad passed probably 15 years ago, & Mum 2 years ago. On dealing with her estate, there was a payment of less than $20k for her unit, which they will have re-furbed and onsold to the next victim....sorry, I mean retiree for over $400k.

6. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

I might have posted this before - our Men's Shed went for morning tea at a newly built retirement community, the price of which was listening to the sales pitch. The speaker was quite open about the exit charges: they would take 26% of the purchase price + 50% of any uplift. In addition you're required to refurb the unit to their standards which means employing their nominated contractor ($$$$) or risking getting into arguments that the work done isn't up to scratch. But, if like me, you're on your own, no family, something like this may be the only sensible option once you get old.

qak likes this.
  7. Scott No Mates

It's a case of shopping around not just for the best entry price but also the best exit strategy.

8. oasis1frog

oasis1frog Well-Known Member

Seems both private & "not for profit" organisations (eg. Wesley Mission etc.) all ask sky high prices for their units, & exit ?!

9. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

A rising tide will usually lift all boats (unless yours is stuck in the sediment)

So residential houses rise, this drags up residential units, retail under strata residential, various commercial and other stock, so I'd expect retirement villages and permanent sites in caravan parks and the like to fit into the above somehow.

Scott No Mates likes this.
  10. Rooster6

Rooster6 Well-Known Member

Not under any circumstance. The model which they operate within is designed to screw the purchaser and enrich the retirement village owner.

Angel likes this.
  11. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

What options do people have that need such services? Are there alternative retirement home models out there?

12. Scott No Mates

It all depends on the services required.

In NSW, there's SEPP 5 - Housing for the Disabled or Over 55's. Generally allows units to be built in areas which wouldn't otherwise have units. Condition is one resident of each unit must be over 55 or disabled to occupy. Located on a regular transport or bus route, covered bus shelter, within X m of doctor, chemist, shops etc.

These are self-care units with no common rooms/caretaker/shared facilities etc. Strata titled, no different to other units other than the restrictions on occupancy. Slightly harder to sell due to the smaller market.

alicudi likes this.
  13. camilla__

camilla__ Member

Thanks Stoffo..you are the only one who answered my question. I will probably buy in this particular village in few years . At the moment I can buy for price asked and stay in PPOR. If I don't buy now and it also goes up heaps then cant afford to buy without selling PPOR which I would prefer to hang onto as investment. I understand all the rules, fees, costs etc. Thanks everyone

14. Rooster6

Rooster6 Well-Known Member

Not to buy 3 years earlier than you have to.

15. camilla__

camilla__ Member

Why not??

16. Millie

Millie Well-Known Member

Skater, do you mean the Estate received proceeds from sale of $20,000?

17. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

I wouldn't use these exact words but yes, let's just say that purchasing one of these is a pure lifestyle option for the retiree and not a good investment for reasons listed in this thread already. These units/villas offer brilliant companionship and lifestyle options, particularly for someone who is retiring single, however if you want to make money in property it's not for you.

- Andrew

Stoffo likes this.
  18. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Yes.

19. Millie

Millie Well-Known Member

Yikes. That's what I thought you meant, but wanted to check.

20. sharon

sharon Well-Known Member

I looked into it once here in BNE. But you couldn't buy and rent out - it was owner occupier only. It might be different for the different retirement villages.