Do I need apartment reno plans drawn up ?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by oneone, 10th Dec, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. oneone

oneone Well-Known Member

For those whose done apartment reno - is it worth getting sketches/3d planning of the kitchen and bathroom ? I've been qouted about 1K.

I am knocking down a wall and making an open kitchen/lounge. Redoing all the cabinets/flooring/bench top, hoping to put in a split system aircon (tubing through a window). But not moving location of sink. Bathroom a total refresh/waterproof/retiling, removal of bath tub but no change to shower/sink/toilet position.

An engineer has drawn the wall removal and I have their report.

Is it worth getting this done, will it help with strata approval? I can probably draw up sketch on some free software and write up the scope of works. The builder I have in mind is experienced but old school, don't draw detailed sketches.
    I'm not sure if its enough to send in for approval the engineer report, the scope of works and the builder insurance/certs etc.

these are 'renovation brokers' and added service of looking at materials, pricing to budget etc

2. Richard Ross

Richard Ross New Member

Could find a better price than that but yes, definitely worth getting 3d render/sketch. You just see things that can otherwise be missed in 2d plan/elevation view

AxeLy and oneone like this.
  3. meffn

meffn Well-Known Member

Knocking down a wall sounds like it falls outside a minor renovation so you will need a special resolution, I think the more detailed the plans the easier it will to get across. 3d plans might be unnecessary but at least a floor plan and elevation plan would help with approval and planning. You might also need CDC or DA approval on top of strata approval as removing a wall possibly falls outside exempt development, and your certifier will also ask for these plans.

Stoffo and AxeLy like this.
  4. oneone

oneone Well-Known Member

Thanks, yes I'm getting someone to draw up the kitchen/wall plans properly, 3D is part of the service
    I'm also hoping to get split air con in and potentially vent out for stove top (currently filtration like all old apartments) - which might mean needing to put a hole through kitchen window as I think punching a hole through the outside wall probably won't be allowed.

So having all this sketched up hopefully will help get past strata. Looking at past documents of other apartments whose taken the wall down or part of it - doesn't seem like council approval was needed. But will see what strata says

Think I might skip detailed drawing the bathroom redo, not moving any of the plumbing. Just getting rid of bathtub, no replacement.

Stoffo likes this.
  5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Preparation of plans & specifications provides less scope for misunderstandings - Body Corporate approval, DA/CC, Tenderers/Builder, Contractors. No scope to argue "he said/she said".

Stoffo and Sackie like this.
  6. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

From past experience, the strata will also want to create a by-law making you and every subsequent purchaser of this unit, responsible for its upkeep and any negative impacts on other units in the complex. It won't happen overnight, so be prepared for the time it takes..

Marg4000 likes this.
  7. arewethereyet

arewethereyet Well-Known Member

Hey @oneone, glad I found your thread as I'm looking to change a wall in my unit. My first learning reading this is that I need to start with an engineer (I had assumed it would be an architect).

How'd you go with getting strata approval? And did you also have to get council approval as well?

8. oneone

oneone Well-Known Member

Hi, I'm actually getting ready for the approval at AGM/special meeting later end of this month
    paperwork in, had a chat to the bodycorp committee, just a few minor questions.

For the wall, yes got a certified engineer to write up a report and passed on these details to the person drawing up the kitchen/reno plans and they worked it in (eg. had to retain part of wall near balcony)
    There was agreement with the removal of wall it may cause some cosmetic damage to unit above/below which I have to agree to fix (eg. if floor is tiled above may cause crack, or along walls). So before starting I'm going to knock on doors of units surrounding and get some photos of their walls so there are before/after photos - avoid debates in future.

Yes need to get strata approval , no to council approval.

9. arewethereyet

Thanks for sharing that info.

Fingers crossed that strata approval is straightforward!

10. arewethereyet

Don't know what the protocol is here - whether I should have started a new thread or it's okay to tack on to this one - so apologies if I've broken something.

Am looking to PM my strata reno application to folks experienced with wrangling grumpy strata committees so that I can get feedback on the statement I've prepared.

If you have the time and are willing, many, many thanks in advance!