Do I have to change a TV antenna?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Starbright, 4th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I had a tenant that complained a lot. All the complaints were in writing. For each complaint, I wrote back specifically asking if the tenant wanted the "fault" fixed. For some she said "yes", for some she said "no".

I didn't fix the problems she specifically stated she didn't need fixed. One example was a faulty oven. She didn't want it fixed because she didn't bake. I didn't arrange to get it fixed. An interesting development on that "fault" was that at exit, the oven was inspected and found to be in full working order.

So yes, you can elect to not have certain things fixed. It depends what it is though.

2. SouthBoy

SouthBoy Well-Known Member

Thanks @Perthguy, I will try this tactic, next time my PM rings me up for more fixes.

3. Perthguy

Just don't breach your lease.

4. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Well, dishwasher, antenna - not sure of the wording but it should be kept in working as at the start of the lease.
    Have a look in the 'Hilarious tenant complaints' thread for some other types.

5. Starbright

Starbright Well-Known Member

So the additional quotes came in at $450-$550 + GST to replace, and $200 for an additional bedroom point.

Another one was $550 incl GST and $150 for additional point.

Think I'll go with the second one above since their reputation online seems better. Not sure if I need another bedroom point for the additional cost, unless there are strong opinions otherwise?

Glad I got another quote anyway :)

Perthguy likes this.
  6. Perthguy

Speak to your rental manager to see if it is likely to get more rent with another bedroom point.

7. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Check with the pm but on one hand good to do it at the same time, or you can leave it and if the tenants want it they can pay for it at a later date

8. Handyandy

Handyandy Well-Known Member

Check these guys out. They are quoting $399 for standard install. based on your description I would have said that yours was standard install.

http://tech2home.com.au/price-list/

You do realise that in the quote you supplied they are intending to run the cables on the outside of your house.

Starbright likes this.
  9. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

It's a really simple task to DIY install an aerial system throughout a house, I've always done my own.
    Plenty of Youtubes showing how to do it.

Chasing a cable down the wall is the most frustrating part however you could come down through the inside of a pantry, linen closet, BIR etc, run the cable down the corner of the wall with cable cover, drill a hole through the wall (making sure you're not drilling through power, water, gas etc), mount the plate, or for a rough job just run a length with fitting through it that can be plugged straight into the telly.
    Zone Hardware 15 x 25mm 2m Snap On Cable Management Duct

10. Zepth

Zepth Well-Known Member

Imo pay the replacement cost and offer the tenants to pay the $150 for the additional point in the bedroom if they want it

Perthguy likes this.