Do I have to change a TV antenna?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Starbright, 4th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Starbright

Starbright Well-Known Member

I received an email from my PM saying the TV antenna is not getting reception. The property has been rented for over 3 years with no issues and the tenants have been there over a year. Do you think I have to pay for it? It's very expensive and sounds like they want to upgrade the antenna.

The cost is $650 and includes:
    - relocating antenna location, as next house wall is in line of sight (the next door house has not changed or gotten higher)
    - install new FTA - digital ready HD antenna, VHF/UHF combination, on chimney or guided mast on flat roof at back
    - remove old antenna and mast
    - install new cable feed from roof, externally into lounge, install new TV point, RG6 quad shield cabling
    - upgrade connections to F-type - digital ready
    - install and test TV outlet

Does anyone understand some of these terms and have a view on whether it is reasonable that I pay? The tenants' lease expires in 9 months so I don't think they will move out, or can they use this as an excuse to move out?

thanks

2. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

The old tenant may not have been worried about the hd channels (7 mate, gem etc) or had the right tele for those channels.

It's up to you cover the replacement I'd think. Google the price of the antenna and if think that would make up atleast half the cost

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

You'll need new wiring as the old antenna cable may not be able to provide a proper signal fue to a lack of shielding. (Think this is the superhero of cabling).

It is a digital aerial why do you need uhf/vhf which are analogue?

AFAIK line of sight is only required for analogue signals and FM.

4. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

Yes it is up to you to pay. I did one last Xmas holidays as the tenant has 3 kids and the aerial was "damaged in a storm". House is now 10 years old.
    Cost me about $480 from memory. Sounds like your guy is doing some upgrading, so that can only be a good thing as it will bring everything up to today's technology.

5. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Ouch. I would be getting my own quotes if I were you. My last antenna replacement (not relocation) was in Melbourne on 14/03/2014 which cost $190. That isn't a relocation, which I can see would be more expensive. Still, $650 seems like a lot to me.

6. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Unfortunately there is nothing you can do to avoid paying for repairs and maintenance in a rental property - it's there and not working - it has to be fixed.

A few different quotes to compare would help but yes you need to have it fixed or tenants will be entitled to compensation until it is fixed.

7. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Without site inspection to assess access points/clearance, roof safety/condition etc it's a bit difficult to say if it's a fair price or not.

Installers can run adverts promoting $129 fully installed etc to get your attention, get you to phone them, however once they do a site inspection they'll soon let you know why it will cost more.

Firstly I'd hunt around for someone with a good local reputation, organise them to go out and inspect the current system, let you know if it can be tidied up, if not what it will cost to replace.

If going to the cost of replace consider putting points in all bedrooms, cheaper to get it done while they're at it, will be more attractive to future tenants as they can watch telly in bed, plug their stereo into it for radio etc.

Starbright and Perthguy like this.
  8. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

You don't have to do it, but you need to weigh up if a happy tenant is a good tenant.
    Have they asked for any other iffy things recently?

9. GoOnAndTell

GoOnAndTell Well-Known Member

seems pricey but it depends on your roof and how far/complicated the cable run is.

10. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Further to above you could also consider smart wiring to all required rooms for NBN so smart TV's etc can be hardwired via ethernet rather than relying on wireless

11. SouthBoy

SouthBoy Well-Known Member

Can you really do this? The tenant signed a lease for a functional property. If the landlord refuses to fix the problems, can they not say that the contract was violated and refuse to pay rent? I have a couple of trouble tenants as well. On one of my properties I will constantly receive a repair bill of $350 or excess every couple of months. This will be for things like:

-Ranghood in kitchen loose.
    -Overhanging tree btanches on clothes line.
    -Towel rack broken.
    -Kitchen hot plate
    -leaking cistern

12. Starbright

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I do intend on fixing it, hopefully at a lower price! The original email from the pm sounded like an antenna upgrade, which I wasn't sure if I needed, but I guess it makes sense to future proof it for HD and other channels.

I think I will ask for more quotes as WestOz and others have suggested.

13. Starbright

Can this job usually be done by the same person as the antenna replacer? Or will I have to ask someone else, thanks.

14. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Can you really do what?

15. Scott No Mates

Refuse to pay rent? No. That is a breach of lease.

16. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Antenna installation is pretty basic, done a few myself, as far as I'm aware there's no licenced qualifications required, not sure on licence requirements for fibre/nbn.

If it were me I'd get a quote from a licenced electrician that also installs fiber etc. I'm about to do the same when getting some additional powerpoints installed.

17. Scott No Mates

Fibre is an additional licence as it is a different technology.

Let the tenant use WiFi or run their own cabling.

18. S0805

S0805 Well-Known Member

That's the way you should go. I think your PM is being lazy. I was in same position 1st quote i received sounded so much like you've listed with ~700. I did some searching and ask PM to call 5 trades i founds online & end up fixing (not replacing) around ~200

19. SouthBoy

As a landlord, can you not repair a tenant's request to fix something?

20. SouthBoy

especially if its deemed non essential. e.g. dishwaher, antenna....etc