Do Couples & Families Make Better Long Term Tenants?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by eng, 1st Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. neK

neK Well-Known Member

I wasn't a pet friendly property owner. Now I am.
    Greater stability as there people have less opportunity as most other property owners would reject them.
    To deal with pets, I've removed the carpets and have only laminate or tiles.

Excalibur1 and eng like this.
  2. eng

eng Well-Known Member

I'm ok with grey hounds after reading that they're affectionate, gentle dogs, but we've decided to not accept this application as my wife doesn't like the idea of big dogs. We'll see who else applies.

Nope.

We brought the house from the DOH, so I'm not too worried about wear and tear. I agree with you @neK I'd rather give this couple a 6 month try because they're willing to pay extra to rent. But the wife wouldn't hear of it :eek:

3. eng

eng Well-Known Member

I'd rather make an informed decision knowing all the facts than let life happen.

Xenia likes this.
  4. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

they can be stable tenants like @neK said. one of my properties has pet clause and there's a big yard.

eng likes this.
  5. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

If there is a yard & somewhere for kennel, dog house, refusing due to type of dog if everything else is good may not be a good move if you do not have others to select from.

Now you say it is ex housing, and likely to still have some housing around it, or at least not the top end of town, you will likely find that all tenants will have larger dog/s, or will get them in after moving, or will just not mention it at all.

eng and WattleIdo like this.
  6. eng

eng Well-Known Member

@dabbler @larrylarry would it be right to tell the PM that we want a week to see what other applications come in and make a decision?
    Is it right to ask for a pet bond on top of the normal rental bond? If so how much is reasonable?

7. dabbler

If it were me, and it did not look bad but preferred no pets, I would say to PM not rejected outright but would like to see what other applicants we get.

I am not sure if you can ask for a bond, in NSW and QLD I ask the PM to see if tenant agrees to full professional clean on exit of the carpets.

The PM should do an initial inspection after 6 weeks and pay close attention to what is happening.

Ask the prior place they lived if any damage due to the pets, that is probably about all you can do.

eng likes this.
  8. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

There is no ideal group that make perfect tenants. A good tenant comes in all shapes, sizes, family size, sex, race and are often pet owners.

Even a good tenant can go bad when their circumstances change. Better to be opened mind and see what applications are made.

I have no problems with pets so long as the property can accommodate them and find it better to have them documented so that they can followed up rather then the tenant hiding them.

Like @dabbler, my PM's do a 6 week inspection on all new tenants and see how they are going. Also a good idea to have any tradesmen attending to keep an eye on things.

9. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

@eng if you can afford to wait, just wait for better applicants in your view or wife's view. Ideally, your PM will have screened and give you a list of appropriate tenants.Is it easy to rent out your place? Have there been many applications? What was the feedback given by prospective renters? Mine doesn't pet bond. My PM's pretty stringent with her screening, especially with the ability and capacity to pay rent, good history and references.

eng likes this.
  10. Nick Valsamis

Nick Valsamis Well-Known Member

Be aware that if they are a decent tenant, they could find another property in that 1 week time leaving you out of good options if you have no one better.

Chilliblue likes this.
  11. dabbler

That is true, they are looking for a home, not an IP.

12. Magnet

Magnet Well-Known Member

I agree! We have 3 kids and a dog and we rent. I'm more worried about what the kids can potentially do than the dog!

Erida, eng, Adele and 2 others like this.
  13. Tranquilo

Tranquilo Well-Known Member

Yep happy wife happy life:)

eng likes this.
  14. AndrewTDP

AndrewTDP Well-Known Member

Greyhounds are actually one of the best breed of pets for apartments and houses.

Sleep 23.5 hours a day and just need 15 minutes of zoomies at a park. They really need a lot less space than just about anything. Jack Russels etc actually need a lot more looking after.

eng and WattleIdo like this.
  15. Adele

Adele Well-Known Member

I've run out of things in the house for my kids to break. They just seem to catch the 5 seconds you aren't watching them.:rolleyes:

Erida likes this.
  16. Magnet

Magnet Well-Known Member

Ours haven't broken anything...yet...

Adele likes this.

Price Accounting provide investor + developer tax services world and Australia wide for your property and all tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI below for our new client pack and quoted pricing + client portal access. Trusts, Co and SMSF are our specialty.