Dividing Fence

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Danny370z, 14th Nov, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Danny370z

Danny370z Well-Known Member

Hi guys i have a fence that has fallen down in VIC the house is new however the builder has voided the warranty as the neighbor has built panels on top of the fence. From searching the regulations from the developers were maximum 1.98m i haven't been down there to measure, however i think this has been exceeded. So i told my agent to contact to neighbor and tell them to fix it. My response was that they only manage the tenents.... Am i missing something here about property managing ??

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I'd say it is out of scope. They are the agency between you and the tenants ~ I guess the term "property" manager is incorrect - it should be "tenancy management".

The Y-man

Marg4000 and Danny370z like this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

It's a fencing issue affecting your property and your tenants.

1. Get the agent to write to the neighbours advising that they fix the fence
    2. Get a new property manager like @Lil Skater

kierank, Lil Skater and Danny370z like this.
  4. Lil Skater

Lil Skater Well-Known Member

There's quite a few agents that don't deal with fences.. It's a huge PITA, but it's part of dealing with properties and the fact of the matter is it's another maintenance issue like anything else.

If your agent won't assist, I would recommend contacting the council and they can supply some details of the neighbour. You could also just try Googling the address to see if it's been leased and there's an agent involved, or ask an agent nicely who might have ownership data and can do it on your behalf.

Organise one or two quotes, send them to the neighbour and request they contact you - if they won't cooperate out of the gate you need to go through the process of issuing a notice to fence.

Danny370z likes this.
  5. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Was are the terms of your agreement? I would imagine it is not something covered.

6. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

The big PITA....needs a big oven too.

The Y-man

7. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Over the years, I have had a few fencing transactions/issues with our IPs and their neighbours.

Our PMs have always handed them. If they didn’t, they would have received 30 days notice to terminate PM agreement.

Kassy and Danny370z like this.
  8. charlie01

charlie01 Well-Known Member

If just a few palings, RM may arrange a handyman to fix it. If a whole fence collapsed, it's better for the owner to deal with it directly.