Disruptive tenant - suggestions?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by inertia, 1st Jul, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I thought you were going for a more extreme eviction, based on your below quote. :eek:

2. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

Update:

Received a call from my PM today. They were contacted by the sister of tenant A to advised that she had checked herself in to a mental care facility, and the family were helping her. Wants to stay on as a tenant. The family also spoke to the other tenant in the house to apologise.

The PM will be doing inspections shortly, so we'll see how that goes.

Cheers,
    Inertia

craigc, Tom Rivera and Paul@PAS like this.
  3. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

Just thought I would add to this thread after some updates in the last couple of weeks.

The tenant B (the older tenant whose daughter had complained about tenant A's behaviour) had advised they would be moving out into a nursing home... then changed their mind and decided to stay... then changed their mind again and decided to move out.

Sadly, he had been in hospital at that point, was quite unwell and passed away. The family didn't want much to do with what was left at the house, so the bond was used to empty the house and clean it up. The house ended up quite tidy, but there was a lot of junk left over in the storage shed.

I figured it would be quicker/easier/cheaper if I just took a trailer there and emptied out the storage. I was able to get a couple of tip vouchers quickly, and already had borrowed a mates trailer, so game on. We had not previously been in that part of the garage (wasn't accessible during inspections for some reason, can't remember the details - but the units were already tenanted and we didnt really car if the ongoing leases werent a problem). Anyway, I walked into the shed and was dumbfounded. Besides the junk in there (many years worth - not just this tenant, I guess the real estate agent hadnt cared too much about it either!) there was this weird internal wall erected, and various benches. It looks like at some point an owner thought to turn it into a habitable area. About a foot of wall structure had been removed at some point where it joined the wall of the garage, which made it even more weird.

Anyway, cleaned up as best I could. Rolled up the filthy carpet that was in the "room", cleared out all the junk furniture and storage boxes, and ended up doing 3 trips to the tip with a full 6x4 trailer plus the boot of my SUV chockers. I would like to rip out the internal wall in there, but that can wait for another opportunity.

Rental demand in Mayfield is still quite strong, particularly in this segment of the market. Had 9 parties through the place last week, so a new tenant is going in this Friday, and that is with asking 10% above what it was previously.

wylie and skater like this.