Dishwasher replacement query

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Baggio10, 3rd Sep, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Baggio10

Baggio10 Member

Hi all,
    The dishwasher in our IP needs replacement and the PM has suggested dishlex (690) or Solt (450) - haven’t heard of this brand.
    Curious to know how you guys would approach this? Do you all buy new/ second-hand, branded or non-branded?
    Thanks!

2. MB18

MB18 Well-Known Member

I'm using a dishlex in the property I am renting. It seems to be basic but works fine.

I cant fathom why you would consider second hand, just buy new and get proper mileage out of it.

Baggio10 and Michael Mitchell like this.
  3. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

I would buy a low end Bosch - I have zero issues with them in multiple IPs.

I have bought a cheapie in the past and the extended "warranty". Used the warranty 3 times in five years. So that can be good value depending on how you see it.

Baggio10 likes this.
  4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We've always put in Dishlex and never had issues.

I bought a second hand dishwasher once and it had an issue that the repair company told me would cost over $500 to fix. I sold it to a (repairman) guy for $1 to take it away and he said it only needed a $30 part and told me this because he knew I'd been ripped off by a "genuine" repair company.

I fought with that repairer and got nowhere until I wrote a review online, and that prompted them to refund the callout fee (from memory), but it meant I had to replace the dishwasher I'd bought and then sold for $1 with a brand new one. NOT HAPPY JAN!!!

For our townhouses we are going Bosch because we chose Bosch cooking appliances and these are higher end spec than the houses we hold.

Stoffo, Baggio10 and Michael Mitchell like this.
  5. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

For my personal IPs I think the brand is not that important but the warranty is, hence I wouldn't go with a second hand one.

For my owners I usually recommend Appliances Online with the added benefit of free next day delivery, they remove the old appliance and have an installation option (although a separate plumber will be a little cheaper).

AlphabetSoup, malcomtent and wylie like this.
  6. Michelle Evans

Michelle Evans Well-Known Member

It depends on what you want - if you pay for a plumber to supply, remove, install and dispose of it will cost you more than if you use an online site like Kogan or Appliances Online. But- if something goes wrong and you've ordered it direct, the PM can't do much to help where as if it was their trade, and there was an issue, then usually they sort it out and it's nothing you need to worry about.

For all my local owners, if it's a replacement dishwasher, we advise them to order online and install themselves as it generally saves a few hundred dollars.

7. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

Whatever model you get just make sure it has a burst hose cutoff system like the Bosches. Been happy with mine.

Stoffo, malcomtent and wylie like this.
  8. George Theoharakos

George Theoharakos Member

Recommend a new d/w to get a warranty and depreciation benefits.

Phoenix Pete likes this.
  9. Fernfurn

Fernfurn Well-Known Member

I have had about 8 Dishlex (basic model, different properties) over a period of years and can thoroughly recommend them. Never had a problem.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  10. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

This is the model we were told years ago had minimal issues, stood up to tenants well. We've always put Dishlex in, but we are putting Bosch into our townhouses because that's the brand for the other appliances we are using.

For our own house, dishwasher and front loader... always Asko.