Dishwasher draw under sink. Possible?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Wutang Financial, 23rd Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Wutang Financial

Wutang Financial Member

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone ever managed to fit a dishwasher draw under a kitchen sink?

I have had a look online and it seems possible but was hoping someone may have some first hand experience.

Cheers

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

You mean the F&P kind?

Doubt it. Sink hangs down and the bench would need to be abnormally high to accommodate the sink depth and its plumbing under sink and a dish drawer double unit. The waste on the dw would also plumb straight up which isnt smart. IF it could even be done. You could install singles each side by side and have one unit under but it will waste a lot of space doing that. ie two half units each side. The cabinet mods re doors etc may make this unviable. There are loads of models single and double & a tall option too with different door types as well - Speak to F&P about what you are looking to do.

Dish drawers seem a logical item but really are not practical in function. vs a standard unit with modern energy efficient cycles like half load, eco and rinse. And their cost is a obstacle.

The designer specs can be filtered for DWs here
    File Downloads — The Kitchen Tools by Fisher & Paykel

4. Wutang Financial

Wutang Financial Member

Hi Paul,

Yes its a F&P single drawer which I would prefer not to have to replace. Same model as in the the photos below. This is what I would like to achieve but it looks like a very tight fit and lots of opportunity for it to go wrong.

20171213_141551.jpg 20180108_120846.jpg

5. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

It's generally not possible because the waste pipe for the sink in the way. Generally in Australia these go from the sink straight down to the floor but I have seen some plumbing set ups (not australia) where the pipe bends and goes out the back wall so they have more options.

I too have seen photos on line which showed it but I talked to some plumbers and they said the only way they thought it might be able to work like in the photo (I've attached one below) was to make the cabinets very deep so you could put the plumbing at the back behind the dishdrawer

I wanted to do it for a small apartment kitchen but in the end we couldn't get it to work so I had to rearrange the kitchen and go more traditional set up

[​IMG]

Archaon and Propertunity like this.
  6. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Where would one cut a tomato in that kitchen? :eek:

qak likes this.
  7. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

That's a pretty extreme example isn't it o_O. I imagine that kitchen heats up leftover Chinese delivered by ubereats

Archaon, lettert and wylie like this.
  8. The Y-man

qak likes this.
  9. lettert

lettert Well-Known Member

What're those floorboards? Not sure how they look in person but in photo - wowzers!

Definitely a nice little bachelor(ette)-pad kitchenette. My friend used to have something similar when she lived overseas, she used it for boiling water to make instant noodles :D

10. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

11. Paul@PAS

Love that. Imagine the waste plumbing etc is duct taped to the pipe.

Save a grand and install a smaller underbench unit. Redo the duct tape. Or a free standing unit s that power lead inst quite so obvious.
    Or save $1500 and get a GF / BF who hates mess.

Appliances Online

12. Paul@PAS

I love the cost efficient computer desk (on the floor). Short tenants only

13. The Y-man

Granny Flat and.......BF? Bridging Finance? :confused::D:D:D:D:D

The Y-man

14. Paul@PAS

Yes. I'm being gender preference neutral for fear of lynching. But I wont give into plant based fraud.

15. Silverghost

Silverghost Well-Known Member

We used to have lots of those Fisher and Pakel dish drawers at work and they were constantly breaking down. They eventually replaced them with regular sized dishwashers (different brand) and no more problems.

This was a few years ago. Maybe the reliability of the F and P dish drawers has since improved, but I would be a bit wary.

16. Silverghost

Silverghost Well-Known Member

Just re-read the post and realise you already have the F and P dish drawer. Maybe they are better these days if you haven't had issues with it.

17. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Looking at it from on high :rolleyes:

Where is your sink waste? Can you put the waste on the other side of the wall with a p-trap, then the d/w could fit below.