Dimpling/sagging in garage ceiling

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Gurtofen, 18th Oct, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Gurtofen

Gurtofen Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    Recently purchased a property and the only main issue identified during the building inspection was dimpling/sagging in the garage ceiling plasterboard. There was plenty of minor issues identified also but the condition of the property was assessed as above average overall.

The building inspector said the garage ceiling issue was not uncommon in properties of its age (17 years old) and that it was a typical deficiency in similar properties. The rest of the property has been renovated to a high standard. He said the options were to either have it re-glued (if possible but was tricky to do) or have the plasterboard replaced by a plasterer. He advised that it has to be identified as a possible safety hazard as part of the report, as the plasterboard could fall down at some stage but it could be in 10 years time and it wouldn't stop him purchasing the property.

I accepted the issue as fair wear and tear on the property as part of the cooling off but requested some of the minor issues be rectified which were all agreed to by the vendors.

Anyway, just keen to get some advice on whether you would bother having any rectification work done and if so, what do you think the best course of action is and rough estimate on cost to repair if it is required in the short term?

Cheers,
    Gurtofen.

upload_2018-10-18_18-16-59.png

upload_2018-10-18_18-17-16.png

2. lightbulbmoment

lightbulbmoment Well-Known Member

If you can access the ceiling space get someone in there to apply glue dobs into the roof trusses whilst another person on the ground re screws it. Then just patch the screw holes with some gyprock easy flow and paint it.

If the roof trusses are sagging as well you need to get in the roof and put in a hanging beam and nail it off perpendicular to the trusses.

Stoffo likes this.
  3. Gurtofen

Thanks for the info mate. My understanding is the roof trusses are fine and not sagging.

By the way, I have asked admin to move this thread to Repairs and Maintenance where I was meant to post it. ;)

4. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Maybe they cheaped out and used wall sheets (doesn't have fibre reinforcement to span the gap).
    What is the rest of the ceiling like @Gurtofen ?

Or as per @lightbulbmoment
    Put big dobs of plaster sheet glue to the rafter & sheet, then try to prop it up and re screw (a few lengths of timber across the sagging sections with other timbers 20mm to long as props would help)

It actually looks like the installer didn't use glue (the screws are short term as the glue actually holds up the plaster long term)
    Maybe moisture damage from being drafted up over roller door, but unlikely.
    You could "back block" the sagging join, by gluing a plaster square to the cavity side after screwing to help also.

It is a Garage, isn't character a good thing ?

5. lightbulbmoment

The old screw vs glue debate.

Ive read many forums now and it is extremely common to hear stories of american drywall installers who have never used glue in 50 years and still siitting there perfect. Alot of people in usa dont glue only screw

6. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

They still use lath and plaster in the USA don't they :p
    I agree @lightbulbmoment yet walls are different from ceilings, use the wrong type of sheet on the ceiling and "insert pic from above" !
    Anything will stay up with enough screws
    But in turn that means more screw patching :(
    A left over wall sheet from the house may have saved a trade/tradie $15, much to the dismay of @Gurtofen :(
    Maybe it is a hip roof and the spacing was too wide, as those screws look more than 600mm apart ?
    (pic's or it didn't happen ;-) )

Last edited: 18th Oct, 2018
  7. lightbulbmoment

Yes you have to use supaceil. I have just finished sheeting my project im doing all by myself and a sheet lifte. 3.5m raked ceilings so two wall sets and and no butt joints.

Stoffo likes this.
  8. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

20130723_141856.jpeg
    PITA to get a pitched/cathedral ceiling right !

9. sqe

sqe Well-Known Member

Familiarise yourself with the CSR gyprock plaster installation guide. They have a section on plaster in garages. Large heat variation negatively impacts adhesive strength. They recommend using either screw+glue OR screw only methods. When all else fails read the instructions.

As for cost. If you want to replaster, plaster is approx $5/m2 uninstalled. Would require 2 men 1 day to hang and stop a double garage. So expect to pay $600-$800 labour. Then you have cost to remove existing plaster and disposal cost.

If it was me, given its a garage with extreme temp variation, I would use the screw only method and fix the existing plaster.

Good luck

10. Gurtofen

Thanks gents. Appreciate all the info. It is not something I would try and fix myself (because I have zero knowledge in this area) but would engage those who knew what they were doing. Will probably investigate the screw method on the existing plaster as mentioned but I'm also happy to leave it as is if it isn't really a big deal?

I just don't want a sheet of plaster to fall on either of the cars in the future if I should have done something about it?

Ashjan likes this.