Dilemma over 2nd storey build

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by ellejay, 14th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

I've got a single storey house one block back from Lake Illawarra and always planned to build a second storey to get the lake view. Today I got a routine inspection report from the agent and the shot of the front of the house shows that the neighbour on side further from the lake has built a second storey with lovely big windows looking towards the lake. I'm really happy for them but how can I build up now? I would totally block their view, which would upset them as well as me.

Now I don't know what to do. This house is a keeper as far as I'm concerned and I'm hoping to spend some periods living there between tenants.

Attached Files:

2. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

You could go up too, but anyone further on who gets approval can go up as well.

I would not go up with the sole intention to get a view, because anyone else could block at any time.

3. dabbler

Well, if that is the case, then you just follow the process when the time is right.

You should have been notified of the intent for them to go up ? you could also contact them and tell them that you intend to go up as well in the future, they would know it was a risk they were taking.

Maybe they went up because they need the space & the view is just a bonus ? they would be pretty silly to think your place could never be allowed to block them out. What about the one behind them, and next and so on...

wylie and ellejay like this.
  4. ellejay

I meant to edit my reply to your last post but deleted it :mad: Anyway, that's a really good point, never recieved notification of the plans. I really like the idea to write to them and let them know we'll probably do it, but not for a coupke of years. It's a risk you take, and doing it for the space is just as valid. There's one house that could potentially block our view if we both built up. In any case, II'd love to know who they used, and the cost.

Last edited: 14th Mar, 2017
  5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Are they blocking the house behind them?

wylie and spludgey like this.
  6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Hey EJ, I'd be pretty ****** as the new windows offer you no privacy whatsoever.
    I usually push that neighbouring windows are 1500mm above floor level or opaque.

7. ellejay

I didn't even think of that. It did cross my mind it could block alot of light, it looks huge. It dwarfs my place. Always planned a big make over for this house but now half of me hates the idea of blocking their window and other half feels I've got no choice...

8. ellejay

Great point. I was just thinking how excited I'd be if this was my build and now slowly thinking more clearly. Only saw this arvo.

9. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Neighbours should know that there's chance that someone rebuilding second storey next to them... the view is not exactly exclusive to theirs. Can see if there's house plan that get you 2nd storey slightly at the back? Or change setback slightly forward? o_O Not many thinks you can do physically I think. Agree with @Scott No Mates though, their house look so close to the boundary, I'm surprised the council didn't say anything about overlooking neighbouring property?

10. ellejay

So what would you do if you owned this place (apart from cry I mean)?

11. ellejay

I've had the place a couple of years and didn't know a thing about it. I drove past a couple of months ago and there was no sign! It looks so close to the boundary and definitely makes my tired little place look even worse now.

12. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

ellejay likes this.
  13. ellejay

EN710 likes this.
  14. Scott No Mates

@ellejay - get hold of a copy of the DA and approval conditions, there may still be a window of opportunity to object to the conditions or possibility to discuss with the neighbours.

Mooze and ellejay like this.
  15. Mooze

Mooze Well-Known Member

Did they ask you your plans at all?

A relative recently put his very long term planned 2nd dwelling up on his beachfront block. One neighbour in particular tried to block him the entire way through what was entirely in the rules DA. Neighbour had just spent a few mil on their property and thought "their" veiws would be there forever. 5 minute chat with owner of the front block would jave told them otherwise

ellejay likes this.
  16. dan2101

dan2101 Well-Known Member

Let the council decide they write the rules. As long as you don't break them i wouldn't feel guilty. I highly doubt your neighbour would've felt sorry for you and not built theirs if the roles were reversed!

Simon Hampel and wylie like this.
  17. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

You could also get your architect to see if your second storey could be designed so the neighbours preserve a view from at least one of their new windows: win win.

Might be as simple as a roof angle or balcony placement. Get them to pay any cost difference.

wylie and ellejay like this.
  18. Scott No Mates

Then plant some whopping great trees ;)

ellejay likes this.
  19. ellejay

Great idea, thanks.

20. dabbler

If it is not complete, then you should talk to council now & also talk to the neighbors.

I would be advising that you intend to go up in the future.

In regard to the windows, this is why you would/should have been advised, so you knew what was proposed and could have given feedback.

On the bright side, you probably do not need a window on that end of the house if you go up.