Different floor Levels

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by HD_ACE, 31st Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. HD_ACE

HD_ACE Game-Changer

I am just wondering, in the attached photo, are the different levels achieved by two heights in the slab or another method?

Trying to find out if its easy and cheap to get it all to the same level. Seems to be half and half at the two levels throughout. 1980s house in WA

Thanks

image5.jpg

2. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Is it just that one room?
    What are the plans for it?

It would be easier to raise but then there is probably more floor area to do.
    I'd think slab and raised slab in that room, so probably can't cut out the concrete as there won't be enough thickness left

3. HD_ACE

HD_ACE Game-Changer

Pretty much come in the entrance at the higher level, a room either side drops down. at the end of the entrance/hallway it drops down for living and games. Off that it steps up for kitchen and dinning. At the other end it steps up gain for bathroom laundry and 2x bedrooms. Then down this hall it drops again into master bedroom. So a mix through out which looks to me done by the slab.

4. bob shovel

Is this something your looking at? It looks like a motel room? What's that wall cut out?

They've gone to a lot of effort with it! I guess raising a few areas could be possible to atleast reduce the number of ups and downs

5. HD_ACE

HD_ACE Game-Changer

Yeap had a browse through it. It's a dump so was just looking over options.The hole goes through to the kitchen on the same level. must be a service hole lol.

6. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

They do 2 heights in the slab so the slab is still only 150mm at each level. It's just a step down and lower footings for that area.

The 1980s was bountiful for sunken games room, sunken lounges etc. They were super cool :)

[​IMG]

You could fill it in if the doorways will allow it

7. HD_ACE

HD_ACE Game-Changer

As I suspected. The lower levels have lots of ranch sliders and corner windows etc so would have to leave as is.

8. bob shovel

Should be nearly time for it to be cool again :cool: buy buy buy!

9. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Well-Known Member

You could put batons down on the lower parts and put in timber floors. No idea if it would be appropriate for the market though. You would also lose ceiling height.

Is it so bad you can't just leave it?

10. HD_ACE

HD_ACE Game-Changer

It is possible you could learn to live with it. But far too noticeable for my taste.

11. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

With concrete slabs becoming the norm in the city/burbs during the 70's, rather than post/timber, Architects/Designers went a bit overboard with new ideas/possibilities, time$ were pretty good back then (Gough Whitlam days), new build home owners wanting the latest thing lapped it up like lava lamps, Very popular in the 70s/80s.

There are some great interior design ways to make it all flow, the pic not a good example of it.
    If it were something that bothered me as an IP, Id get a couple of interior designers to throw some ideas around, could end up something retro/desired

12. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't mind a decent sunken lounge. Some shag pile carpet, a lava lamp...

13. bob shovel

Over a spot of lsd ;)

14. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'd run with the different levels myself. Update the decor and embrace it.

15. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Boy, that would be interesting.
    Flashback to the 60's ;)

16. Westminster

I am putting in a drop in my new PPOR :) my living/dining/kitchen will be 2c (one step) lower than the rest of the house. I think it works well for a larger area rather than just one room.

17. bob shovel

I like it! The extra height makes it feel bigger and grander with the entry/step down.

18. Westminster

That room also has raked ceilings. At the peak it's almost 7m! I'm having my own church cathedral :cool:

19. bob shovel

Holey moley! That's huge! It will look awesome

I did some plastering back when I was younger out of school and got to work on some amazing places. Those raked ceilings are insane to sheet, especially with 5-6m sheets
    Wish I had some photos of the jobs now. Got to do $1m+ houses,builder was chateau homes in Sydney, they did the biggest loser house my boss took a few weeks just to do the raked ceiling over the pool!

Make sure you get photos for us!!

Westminster likes this.