Differences between maps

Discussion in 'Property Analysis' started by Toon, 6th Nov, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Toon

Toon Well-Known Member

I was just checking out the Street Smart Map, which was just posted by @neK on another thread. There's some blocks of land I'm very tempted by, which are being marketed as beach front & have nothing between them and the beach but a strip of bushland on Google Maps. However, on the Street Smart Map it shows an esplanade running behind all these lots and right through to neighbouring suburbs. Would this be a provisional road likely to be built down the track, thus ruining the value of the currently beach front properties? And if I ask the council and they say it's not going to be build, should I believe them?

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Stripping of vegetation on the primary dune is generally prohibited as it causes the erosion of the dune over time. It would be unlikely that a road would be built even if it is shown on the mapping app. Refer to the plan of subdivision as to when the road was dedicated.

Toon and legallyblonde like this.
  3. LifesGood

LifesGood Well-Known Member

If it's on the map as a "provisional" road then it must have been approved by the council. They'll have records, if that's the case.

Toon likes this.
  4. Toon

Toon Well-Known Member

It shows up on the Street Smart Map as though it's already there and also on the subdivision plan, but it's not. I've sent a query to the local council, hopefully they'll tell me it's a no go due to the reasons Scott No Mates gave above.

5. Toon

Toon Well-Known Member

Just when I thought there would be no response, the council replied to my query.

"Referring to the attached Aerial Image of ... Way and ... Street, please be advised the Esplanade is a gazetted unformed road. This Esplanade land area is designated for road purposes, however conversations with Council’s Infrastructure Planning Department indicate Council will never be constructing this road."
    Just that one little word 'never' makes this so tempting...

6. alicudi

alicudi Well-Known Member

Hi

I clicked on the Street Smart Map link and it didn't work for me. What location/local council is this thread referring to?

Regards,

alicudi

7. Toon

Toon Well-Known Member

Sorry, I didn't realise the link didn't work. It wasn't for the specific location though, just the home page for the site as it's an alternative and has differences to Google Maps - Australia Map - Melway, Sydway, Brisway, Ausway, Street Smart

8. alicudi

Hi

Ok my question was more centred towards the exact location. Everything beachfront/waterfront interests me immensely as I currently live in a waterfront property, own other waterfront property and are also interested in purchasing some land in front of a marina at the moment and like to know about and investigate issues such as the one you are referring to.

Regards,

alicudi

9. Toon

Toon Well-Known Member

While I'm yet to purchase though, I'm not sure I want to be too specific - not looking for competition :p

Sackie likes this.
  10. alicudi

Hi

Clearly understood. Once you have decided not to buy it or if you have signed a contract that has become un-conditional I would be keen to know of the location if you are willing to share it at that point in time.

Regards,

alicudi

Toon likes this.
  11. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Hmmm... I like beaches and water views too....

Toon likes this.
  12. Toon

Toon Well-Known Member

Sadly there's no views as the bush behind is too tall & there's a two storey limit, but nothing but that bush between the block and the pristine beach...

13. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

With mountains to the rear?

(Oops - this isn't the feng shui thread. Toto, I don't think that we're in Kansas).

Angel, Toon and Gockie like this.
  14. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Plenty of those in Tasmania, often with snow-capped mountians