Did anyone manage to max themselves out BEFORE the APRA changes?

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by jaybean, 28th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

A lot of people are now either maxed out or limited now due to the APRA changes. I'm curious if anyone managed to get as much as they could before this all started in late May?

I got really close. I would say I'm about 2-3 equity releases away from where I wanted to be. Now I'll probably get 1 at most. Still I'm happy to have been able to get my last property - I submitted my loan application literally the day before I learned about the first round of changes.

Anyway I'm curious - were any of you in the fortunate position of being able to squeeze very cent out of the banks before you had hit the ceiling, before APRA's meddling?

2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

My finance broker was weary a few months ago and recommended we get as much out as we can asap and we listened. Only 1 place I was a little too late. 1 bank had literally changed their policy the day after we got our equity out.

3. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

I did equity release every 6 months for the last 2 years for the Sydney props, so its basically skin to the bones for some, but remain a 80% LVR focus as getting old.

Sackie likes this.
  4. DanW

DanW Well-Known Member

Haven't mazed equity out, but maxed servicability before the changes.

Did a release with amp a couple days before their servicing rate increased.

Also doubled our portfolio size between August and Feb, buying interstate. So I think we can be happy we did the best we could while we still could.

Will be ok to take a break and sit through this, fix some rates.

2 years later things will be easier :)

Sackie likes this.
  5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I did secure another loan, however as I am a developer I am still continually at the mercy of the banks, buying land now and then building. Not looking forward to sourcing finance for the build, fun times:)

MTR

6. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Know what you mean MTR. Its a love/hate relationship for me.

7. Jkat

Jkat Well-Known Member

We refinanced two of our places before the changes and were very lucky that our broker is a knowledgable guy who advised us well!

8. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

The vast majority of my applications for the last couple of months have been refi/equity pulls for existing clients. It was a crazy/busy period.

9. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

Same here. Fortunately we just scraped in with AMP to get top ups to cover subdivision/titling charges but construction loans now look hairy.

We didn't max out our equity but have done a few top ups in the past 6-8 months.

MTR likes this.
  10. Mick C

Mick C Well-Known Member

First week of May i think my whole team and I didn't sleep properly for weeks! worked 7 days/ 16 hours day for 4 weeks straight and worst of all didn't get a chance to catch up on my weekly SS read lol :)

Personally i missed out on one set of equity, took out 4 prior but due to work didnt have time to submit my own :( Gonna have to refinance now no biggie...