Dick Smith not sold and is closing stores

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Chilliblue, 25th Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

What happens for Dick Smith branded products?

2. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

You throw them out and buy something better quality, same as dick smith products that are in warranty.

3. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I remember when they were actually good products. I think I was still living in Adelaide at the time, which would put it at least 17 years ago :rolleyes:

Sackie likes this.
  4. Colpio79

Colpio79 Member

Very sad. More jobs lost.

5. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Colpio79 likes this.
  6. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

True. I was also lumping them all together in the masters fiasco too

7. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

I dunno why people take job losses as sad and traumatix while they make it out to be a personal retribution by the company

If you lose a job, you get another one. Ita not as if these people will never get another one

Being employed is a two way street.
    The company is not a charity and if they let go of a heap of staff its for business reasons.

At least they have heapsnof notice. Which not all terminated employees do.

Some turn up to work and told they are no longer require dor the company has closed its doors

Last edited: 29th Feb, 2016
  8. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

And you know what?

It seems Woolies had a nice, viable and profitable hardware business in Home Timber and Hardware.

And yet Masters (what's that old saying about jack of all trades...?) were suffering from issues like stocking winter stock in summer and vice versa, due to Masters management not understanding the difference between northern and southern hemispheres.

This whole exercise is just an embarrassingly awkward cluster fork, not to mention expensive.

One could only imagine what would have happened if some of the management of HT&H had been brought in to take a broom through Masters.

Of course, we'll probably never know if they "evaluated the opportunity" and preferred the option of gardening leave and a massive payout, somewhat similar to recently ex-CEO, as it may have been a better option than a somewhat possible flaming ball of financial wreckage flying off a cliff at a recklessly high speed...

Or maybe they took the easy route, and went short on BHP about 12 months or so ago...