Dick Smith not sold and is closing stores

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Chilliblue, 25th Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

All stores excepting airport locations will be closing over the next eight weeks.

The only good news for the 2,910 Australia/NZ staff is that they will rank as priority in unsecured claims which places them ahead of secured creditors so they should be paid out in full.

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Disappointing, but inevitable I feared.

Their strategy has just been too confused in an already crowded marketplace.

3. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Not good, those monkeys should face charges.

4. Simon Hampel

5. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

It could have made for a really lean, online only retailer like Kogan.

6. Arnoldus

Arnoldus Well-Known Member

Big props to private equity for getting it away at the price they did, and sympathies for the employees, it's particularly rough losing a job in such circumstances.

7. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Dick Smith was an OK business...not fantastic, but workable.

The problem wasn't the business...the problem was a predatory, yet somehow, perfectly legal Hedge fund.

Dick Smith disaster in five steps

Perthguy likes this.
  8. mini2

mini2 Well-Known Member

Jaycar has proved it the 'old' Dick Smith still works in this marketplace rather than becoming an has-been in pushing appliances/whitegoods. I love they're saying the affected staff will get their entitlements...of course, the worst case scenario is us tax payers gonna fund it.

Perthguy likes this.
  9. BarneyRubble

BarneyRubble Well-Known Member

chindonly, Ted Varrick and Perthguy like this.
  10. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

So as the offers were below liquidation value of stock, the administrators would prefer to close it all down and sack everyone rather than let someone take it over and turn it around and save 2500 jobs. Sounds sensible.

I know whos getting rich out of the administration and its not the shareholders or suppliers or staff.

11. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Going to check out the Dicksmith in Parramatta, but I went to the Burwood store a couple of weeks ago to buy some stuff, but they didn't have any stock- GPS, headset and etc

12. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

I bought a faulty GPS from them. It didnt have a cover for the screen so I presume someone else took it back and it ended up back on the shelf. I wonder if this means I'm stuck with it now

13. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

How sad for the shareholders, staff and customers.

A bunch of ex-Myer "managers" (and I use the term loosely, given the outcome...) get to run a consumer electronics firm in a public float by a private equity group, and stuff it full of private label stock that no-one seems to want.

And Matt Ryan of Forager Funds calls it out like having a loud hailer in a movie theatre shouting "Fire!".

Can it be described as the biggest pump and dump over the last decade?

Imagine what would happen if the Proceeds of Crime legislation were extended to a "deeming provision" by the ACCC, so the members of numerous Self Managed Super Funds (aka Mums and Dads investing for retirement..) were compensated by the asset sales(+ 33%) of the proponents of the Product Disclosure Statements (apparently defined as ".. the fat bit in front of the application form"...) when it all turned pear-shaped within, say, 3 years from the float.

I am both glad I wasn't a shareholder, and also aghast that the basic retail concept of a stock turn didn't seem to be understood, and subsequently addressed diligently, by the overpaid management of this (ex) retail business.

If only the board had considered replacing the management, and this view may be arguable, by a ham and cheese sandwich, which may have had an equally valid chance of producing a P& L statement that didn't have a minus in front of it.

What a disgrace.

14. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Visited Dick Smith over weekend - disappointing - wasn't much of a firesale. Mostly 20% off inflated prices - the Good Guys next door seemed to be cheaper on some items!

The Y-man

joel likes this.
  15. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

I just cant believe that an entire team at a reputable company like Woolworths can buy such a piece of crap

Just emphasises my disgust and disbelief at how useless corporate and overpaid . Incompetent and entitled corporate management are

16. Simon Hampel

Hangon - Woolworths bought Dick Smith from Dick in 1980 ... they put it up for sale in 2012 and it was bought by a private equity firm who then listed it on the ASX in 2013 before selling their shares in 2014.

I don't see how any of this is now Woolworth's fault?

Phantom likes this.
  17. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

WOW was bagged at the time of PE backed IPO for selling the wonderful business too cheap. At least WOW executives have something to laugh about now.

18. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

Did the same thing. Thought i could get a printer cheap. They were still more expensive than JB around the corner. No one else seemed be think they were cheaper either. I was thinking only person in there. While JB was packed.

Sackie likes this.
  19. Simon Hampel

I read that the real discounting isn't supposed to start until this Thursday.

PSA: The Best Dick Smith Deals Won't Appear Until Thursday | Lifehacker Australia

20. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

You have recourse from the manufacturer