Development jobs

Discussion in 'Development' started by Peter Carter, 10th Feb, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Peter Carter

Peter Carter Active Member

Hello people.

I'm curious to hear people's thoughts on where or who might offer cadetships / traineeships with the property development field.

I'm currently in my second year of a property degree at deakin uni and have started putting some emails out to companies in Newcastle where I live.

Ideally a company that is developing high rises is where I would like to go but I do know that companies like bunnings, caltex and maccas also have development arms?

Thank you

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Parkview, Toha Group, Dexus, Westfield, Lend Lease, Charter Hall.

I noticed an assistant development manager/asset manager gig on seek yesterday.

Peter Carter likes this.
  3. Peter Carter

Thanks mate

4. LukeR

LukeR Well-Known Member

Hey @Peter Carter

I'm also studying Property and will be graduating end of this year at RMIT with honours.

Best bet is to apply to all of the cadetships/traineeships that are offered through your uni.

I was shortlisted for Lendlease and Stockland, but ended up working for Little Projects In melbourne. There is plenty of competiton for ADM roles so make sure you're prepared for the interviews. They do a full personality quiz and usually take in 30 people or the first round interviews followed by a shortlisted selection of 1-4.

Mirvac also has a great ADM traineeship program (I've heard) but it is fiercely competitive. My mate who was in first round interview said most were in their mid - late 20's with ADM experience prior..

5. Ross Forrester

Ross Forrester Well-Known Member

Mirvac are great at this stuff.

6. Peter Carter

Thanks for the reply mate. Sorry I'm taking so long to reply myself but uni has kicked off again and its a busy time. I have emailed Mirvac to get some feedback

Ross Forrester likes this.
  7. Peter Carter

Thanks for the reply mate. Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you. Yeh the whole age thing is a bit concerning to me as i am 32 and have not finished my degree yet. I have heard they are usually after mid twenties for ADM roles. In saying that, a mature age person does have positives.

I recently had an interview for a local company in Newcastle which went quiet well only to receive a phone call saying the directors nephew had put up his hand for the job. When i asked for feedback they said i did really well so that way disappointing.

Lots of people doing the property degree by the sounds of it.

8. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

early 30's isn't 'mature age'.

9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

It's over the hill :p

10. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

Fraser Property Group (used to be Australand) are also looking for an ADM but it's in Rhodes.

11. Redwood

Redwood Well-Known Member

Why not inquire from small developers/ builders? learn the trade and move the way up. You will need capital to succeed as a developer and I reckon its best to get on the tools first. For instance, My ol'man was a brickie and only started building in the mid 90's some 25 years after he started working.....I used to be a labourer for him from the age of 12....learn the rules of the job site, which I must say include a fancy cup of coffee instead of a VB - a pink vest instead of a wifebeater - then move up the chain...no pain no gain....

Otherwise, can get a job with the big boys and move up to foreman.

Cheers Ivan

Phase2 likes this.
  12. Daniel007

Daniel007 Well-Known Member

Realistically you shouldn't be looking at ADM roles as the expectation is that you have at least 18 months experience in the field. ADM roles are dime a dozen and it isn't too hard to find a role with experience at the moment, but you'll find it very difficult for graduate/trainee development manager roles.

Your best option is to target those smaller-mid tier developers through either jobs advertisements or cold calling (i've successfully pulled this off). Having been through the final stage of the mirvac internship application, i can tell you that every single person invited to the 1st group interview (ie top 30) had at least 6-12 months of solid work experience in a property related area (valuation, development, commercial agents, leasing) and/or knew a senior person in the division.

I'm currently in a grad role so shoot me a pm if you want to know more.

Peter Carter likes this.
  13. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

Village is another one for nsw.

I'd consider moving to Melbourne where it's very hot in this space. Try Peet, Cedar Woods, Satterley, Mirvac, Stockland,Fraser, icon, little, fridcorp, parklea, wolfdene, avj, id, places Vic, goldfields, lendlease. Look into land sub, medium density developers not just high rise.