Developing Hurdles

Discussion in 'Development' started by Chomp, 29th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Chomp

Chomp Well-Known Member

I Thought this would be useful for everyone if developers could list the problems that they have encountered and possibly how they got around them.

Also other things to be aware of, I will start with a couple;

PERTH
    1. Neighbors refusing to pay for any retaining costs, refuse to sign BA 20 forms, yet feel they can dictate as to what type of retaining is used - I don't have an option, will be taking them to court to get retaining approved and maybe again to get some money as well just see how much they tick me off !

2. Split zoning, one of the houses you build may have to build a two storey (city of cockburn)

3. Sub dividing, you will have to remove overhead power lines and install a new dome.

4.Finance, investors buying off the plan, now the new apra lending rules may mean they will not be able to get finance. This will have repercussions for the builder as well.

5. Builders upping the quote at the last minute - Make sure you get your builder to guarantee the quote until finance is approved

6. You may not be able to under develop your zoning, in other words if it is zoned R60 apartments they may not let you just build a triplex. (I heard this somewhere is this true ?)

Chomp

It would be great if any Drafty's could list zoning issues across suburbs !

2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

I'm a bit of a self taught zoning law geek, and still learning as I go. I find most "zoning issues" are simply a matter of knowing the Rcodes and the local planning scheme for the council quite well.

Were there any zoning issues in particular you wanted someone to have a look at?

3. Chomp

Chomp Well-Known Member

Nothing in particular, just trying to get everyone to share their experiences / knowledge so we can possibly learn from others.
    What zoning issues can you share mate ?

4. HD_ACE

HD_ACE Game-Changer

Step 1 identify zoning and relate it back to the r-codes.
    Step 2 read the TPS of that council (town planning scheme) to identify any other requirements/limitations to get the zoning /density bonus.

5. Chomp

Chomp Well-Known Member

Are their any sort of zonings do you try to avoid and suburbs specifically ?

6. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

To be honest, the more complex the zoning, the more opportunities for a good deal there are. Some classic examples are the little known density bonuses for Charles St in North Perth, and corner lot R30 bonuses in the City of Gosnells.

It pays to do your research!

MTR likes this.
  7. HD_ACE

HD_ACE Game-Changer

Nope. But yeah corner density bonuses are great especially when the agent has no idea ;) . A few suburbs support it now. Check in their tps.

8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Chomp
    never heard of builder increasing quote prior to finance, I sign off on a fixed contract.

I feel your pain. I got the neighbours from hell in Spearwood, we just played nice until we sold. We paid for all the fences and retaining, but it was accounted for in building contract.

My g/friend went to court re: fencing, absolute waste of tme, it's such a bloody grey area.

My philosophy is time is money, delays will cost you and I just make sure costings cover everything. neighbours may not be too friendly due to disruption, just my experience

9. stumpie

stumpie Well-Known Member

@Chomp - if they don't wish to contribute to the cost of the retaining or fence do they really have a say on the type used?

10. Chomp

Chomp Well-Known Member

Proposed retaining was approved by council (Twinside). But unless they sign the BA20a forms I have to get a court order so I can build.

So I'm not sure, will wait and see what the courts say, one would assume they would have to pay the difference if they want something more expensive but common sense may not prevail.

11. Chomp

Chomp Well-Known Member

I'm over being nice with these neighbors, they have forced me to take them to court, so now the gloves are off, I wasn't originally but now I'm seeking for them to pay half of retaining and fencing costs.