Crypto Determining CGT

Discussion in 'Other Asset Classes' started by D3xx, 3rd Jul, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. D3xx

D3xx Well-Known Member

I have been trading crypto on Australian exchange Independent Reserve. They offer a service where they will calculate your gain/loss for the financial year. It comes with a 'powered by KPMG' banner.
    This year (2021) the statement is way different from what my balance sheet shows me. The KPMG statement shows a gain of $25K.

The following are approximations from my spreadsheet: The opening balance for the year was $A3000 comprising BTC, ETH, and AUD. During the year i deposited a total of $A10000 and withdrew nothing. At the end of the year, my balance was $A20000. I understand that every trade is a CGT event. I havent factored any CGT 12+ month discount as thats irrelevant at this point.

I cant see why the KPMG figure is so high. Even if i sold everything at the April peak (which i didnt) and then bought back in, it still wouldn't be $25K gain. My figure for the gain is only $7k.

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Its possible you crystalised gains and you have unrealised losses?

eg you buy at 10, sell at 30, buy back in at 30 and now its worth 20. Then your cg is 20 which is your entire holding.

or you had some that had a very low cost base and they are probably using first in first out.

Withdrawing nothing, what it was worth last1july and what its worth on 30 june mean nothing for cg.

Last edited: 3rd Jul, 2021
  3. D3xx

D3xx Well-Known Member

In late June i converted much of my Ethereum to Bitcoin. Which would have crystalised the gains on that. However, all Eth was bought and sold this financial year. For my Bitcoin, i only had 0.15 coin at the start of the year and 0.25 by the end. Much of that gain came from deposited cash and subsequent purchases this year.

4. JohnPropChat

JohnPropChat Well-Known Member