Desktop valuation

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by dominican, 10th Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. dominican

dominican Active Member

Hi Guys,

What are the advantages/disadvantages of buying a property with a good desktop valuation?

Obviously, it is equity in the property to buy more houses in the future already.

The dream house for an investor is to have a go desktop valuation previously on the property?

Ta

2. dominican

dominican Active Member

CBA 4.79%

The reason I am asking is that I have bought a property for 235K, and the valuation is 362K.

I didn't have such a significant valuation in any of my properties... How luckily will CBA approve this valuation?

My Broker told me it is a chance the lender will not give me that money. Just trying to find someone with similar experience.

3. standtall

standtall Well-Known Member

Given the 4.79% interest you have been quoted, it's highly unlikely.

Lately, banks aren't that keen to use desktop valuations except in low risk 20% lends.

And lastly, desktop valuation is heavily based on recent sales and doesn't take into account factors like floodzones etc.. so your valuation can drop significantly the minute a flood prone structurally unsafe house sells anywhere near your IP and has same area/number of bedrooms.

4. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

The prob with desktop vals is that when you purchase the property at a lower amount you’re likely influencing the future desktop val amount - so whilst it might be high now it could be lower shortly after you settle.

Cheers

Jamie

5. Ethan Timor

Ethan Timor Well-Known Member

True, although seems like it takes a few months for that to happen so if an investor is quick he can enjoy instant “equity” this way.

Another problem is that there is no guarantee that the lender will accept the desktop val, for whatever reason. They have the right to order a full val if something even just feels off to the assessor :rolleyes:

6. JDM

JDM Well-Known Member

You've already bought the property and the val was much higher than the purchase price, isn't that the dream?

7. Corey Batt

Corey Batt Well-Known Member

Getting very unlikely the lender will lend on the desktop ordered pre-settlement. They can see the significantly lower recent settled price and can require a full report instead, which will generally mirror your purchase price. (even if you think you bought a steal)

Desktops can be wildly inaccurate and lenders are aware of it - they're not in the business of leaving themselves open to losing hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Jamie Moore likes this.
  8. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

If it means anything - it shouldn't be the sole reason you buy the asset. It doesn't change the fundamental value of the asset.

The desktop val is clearly an inaccurate reflection of the value of the property, otherwise others will be buying it at a higher price. Its not 'instant equity', its potential paper equity. 'Instant equity' is spruiker talk from someone selling you the place.

From a finance lens, yes it can sometimes work. We've had this scenario a few times and lenders have accepted it (CBA). We've also seen cases where they bumped up the val to full and the full val came in at contract price. I suspect now it's increasingly likely they'll require a full val, but i'd hypothesise there's still a good chance they'll take it.

Also consider the downside of having an asset thats loan is ~120% above its true value.

MJS1034 and Jamie Moore like this.
  9. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Even if they do accept - you're entering dangerous territory borrowing above the likely true value of the property.

Cheers

Jamie

10. Ethan Timor

Ethan Timor Well-Known Member

Definitely. That’s why I wrote “equity” :rolleyes:

11. momentum26

momentum26 Well-Known Member

Hi Redom,

Should this approach be considered for someone who is equity/cash poor but has strong servicing, as it could allow to increase the asset base.

Last edited: 14th Aug, 2019
  12. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

The main concern is that if one needs to actually liquidate, one may be under water.

ta
    rolf

13. momentum26

momentum26 Well-Known Member

Thank you, Rolf.

14. Lucki

Lucki Well-Known Member

On the topic of desktop valuation, which are the lenders that accept these valuations other than the major 4?

15. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

Most lenders have their own AVM / valuation portal

16. Lucki

Lucki Well-Known Member

I should rephrase. Other than the major 4 banks, are then any lenders out there that would consider a desktop val for a sub 80% LVR lend?

17. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Mac stg bwa AMP and others, depends on what the parameters are, and the systems will decide if AVM, deskie, kerbside or full, or for purchases, reliance on contract only

ta
    rolf

Lucki likes this.
  18. Lucki

Lucki Well-Known Member

Thanks mate