Designer Builder - Melb North East

Discussion in 'Development' started by Tully, 8th Sep, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Tully

Tully New Member

I working through plans for a small development / subdivision in Banyule, in Melbourne's north east.

My intention is to create a two-lot subdivision and build 2x two-storey townhouses (completely detached) on the block.

Looking to engage a company that would oversee town planning, subdivison process, council liaising, design, and construction for a turn key product.

Any leads on reputable designer builders familiar with Banyule?

Thanks

2. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

I'd split the process - design/planning/Council approval and THEN construction. The design/planning solution is going to be tricky and a skill base will be needed to achieve your objective. A builder is interested in construction and sees the design/planning phase as a means to and end. Also be aware that some builders are locking clients out of going to other builders for costing/competitive quoting if they have undertaken the first phase (this is done by a copyright retention clause in the initial contract). My suggested approach will give you the best, most flexible outcome where you still retain control over ultimately choosing a builder/costing

craigc, Tully and Stoffo like this.
  3. Tully

Tully New Member

Appreciate the response Tufan. I've been scouring old PC posts for the past couple of days and feel like I've come to that conclusion from reading others experiences too. Takes away conflict of interest, and keeps everyone a bit more accountable.

I've come across quite a few recommended designers/planners on the boards but they seem to be more south based. Any recommendations for ones in the Banyule area? Or are there boards/resources where i could compare designer/planners, especially ones well-versed in subdivisions? At the moment, i'm doing google key word searches and just because a company is at the top of the google results, definitely doesn't mean their the best company...

Understand getting the right team on the job is pretty paramount. I'm wondering whether a project development manager would be worth engaging, and whether this would be more appropriate during the design/planning phase, or to oversee the actual construction? I'm happy to get my hands dirty and like getting into the detail of new ventures, but working full time concurrently may make it tricky to physically attend the site etc.

4. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

Why not just use @Tufan Chakir ??

Tufan Chakir likes this.