depreciation schedule for grandfathered property

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by gman65, 31st May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

With the depreciation changes that came through the budget.. Is there any timeframe to get a new depreciation schedule for grandfathered properties?

Example: property was available for rent before 9th May, but no depreciation schedule in place. Can I obtain one now for future years?

Or is there some sort of cut-off to actually obtain the schedule.

2. Ross Forrester

Ross Forrester Well-Known Member

Their is no cut off time other than the amendment period to lodge the tax return.

So if you acquired the property in 2000 you cannot go back to the year 2000 and make a claim. The same applies now - wait for a long time and it is too late.

You will also incur fees to amend a tax return: better to do it correct the first time (that's what my mum always said).

Typically you can only go back and amend tax returns for 4 years as a rental property owner.

gman65 likes this.
  3. SimonQld

SimonQld Well-Known Member

Confirming, the Schedule can be completed at any time. It did not have to be completed prior to 9 May 2017.
    If the contract (to buy) the property was entered into prior to 7:30pm 9 May 2017 you are governed by the existing rules that were in place prior to the Budget.

gman65 and Paul@PAS like this.
  4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

My tip : Order and pay for QS report prior to 30 June to get fee deductibility this year too.

gman65 likes this.
  5. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies.. getting one before this year's end makes sense. Don't want to leave it too long, just was wondering whether there is any hard cutoff.