Depreciation report worthwhile if demolishing a house

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by eggnog, 11th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. eggnog

eggnog Well-Known Member

I recently bought a house and intend to demolish it within the year in order to do a 1 into 4 lot subdivision. Should I still get a depreciation report done? I won't be able to claim tax deductions on the holding costs as it is a development so I don't see the purpose of a depreciation report.

2. HD_ACE

HD_ACE Game-Changer

Will you be renting it out before demo?
    Will you be building and renting out the development?

3. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

If the property will produce some income before demolishing have a chat with a company or two about a scrapping schedule schedule.

4. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

Yep, the key, as Chilliblie said, is to rent it out for a while. Then when you knock it down you can claim the residual value of the Assets and possibly any building works or renos - dependent on when the works were done.

Scott

willair likes this.
  5. eggnog

eggnog Well-Known Member

Thanks all for the replies.

I will be renting the property to the original owners at settlement while at the same time start the subdivision applications with council. I will be selling everything once subdivided.

Also, not sure if relevant but property was purchased under a discretionary trust.

Will have a chat with my accountant next week but would be great to also hear other peoples opinions prior to meeting them.

6. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

You might be out of luck with claiming the stuff you toss out if you are planning to sell up when complete. Your accountant will advise.

7. eggnog

eggnog Well-Known Member

Thanks depreciator. I had a similar thought so wanted to check with this board first. Will see what my accountant says.

8. eggnog

eggnog Well-Known Member

And who knows, i might end up changing my mind and keep some of the lots.

PFI can assist you with your investment strategies for your SMSF, Life Cover for your members and assistance with compliance. We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice