Depreciation on a duplex

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by hash_investor, 2nd Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

Hi guys, has any of you got a depreciation done on a duplex? I am confused if that is going to be considered a house or a unit or a townhouse or what?

Here are the details:

- A duplex unit
    - Part of a complex of 5
    - Strata titled
    - Single story
    - Complex has 2 duplex pairs and a stand alone

Does being strata titled make it more like a villa/townhouse than a free standing house?

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

It doesn't matter what you call it. Its all about construction content and how the report is prepared. What it is and Strata etc of little consequence except for common areas but total numbers will be identical in theory. But you can just get one report and assume it applies to all that look identical. There are often trivial façade and floorplan issues that result in small differences.

You could have 4 reports (each owner each duplex)
    Two - Either each owner or each duplex property
    Or one report covering whole duplex..I wouldn't personally do that as it could complicate if you lived in one or sold one later.

BMT Tax Depreciation likes this.
  3. BMT Tax Depreciation

BMT Tax Depreciation Chris Business Member

We recommend against it (which I think you meant)!

I love asking people, "Are they identical?" and getting the response, "Yes. Except one has a balcony. And one has a walk-in robe. And the kitchen is a slightly different shape. And there's different carpet in the second one. And ..."

If they are separately titled or if there is any chance they might be split up in future then we strongly recommend separate reports. It can create headaches otherwise, particularly if they are not identical.

4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

And one is 4 bedroom the other is three....