Depreciation - Construction Date and Cost

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Frosty123, 25th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Frosty123

Frosty123 Well-Known Member

Hi all,

How would you usually go about obtaining the date of construction for depreciation purposes? I've spoken to the real-estate agent and was advised it was around 1987 or so.
    After speaking with Logan Council, I've found the following application with Decision: Building Works Final Issued on 21 Jan, 1988.
    This date is obviously after completion of construction.

Is there any other way I can find the cost and date of construction?

Thanks

Frosty

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Let the quantity surveyor do that.

3. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

For depreciation, it's the 'construction start' date that is relevant.
    If you have a completion date of 21/1/88, it's reasonable to assume that construction started up to 6-12 months before then - assuming it's a standard house.
    That puts the relevant start date perhaps mid 87.
    If the council don't have a record of the construction estimate on file as part of the building application, you're not going to able to get it.
    Of course, if it's a recent purchase it's a moot point - there is no building depreciation left now on a mid 87 building. Any renovations after that date can of course be depreciated, as can the Assets in the property - appliances, carpet, HWS etc
    Scott

4. Frosty123

If the construction date did start after 15 September 1987, then I'd have another 12 years of depreciation at 2.5% of the original construction price? Very much doubt it was built in 4 months :(

5. BMT Tax Depreciation

BMT Tax Depreciation Chris Business Member

Like Terry above, I am curious as to why you need to find this information out yourself. Is your depreciation schedule provider making you do all the research for them?

6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The trained eyes of a QS will note all more recent improvements, repairs and other works after that date ie fencing, landscape, pergola, carpets, appliances, HWS, solar etc

Frosty might have Fullyluckys depreciation template !

7. Frosty123

I was trying to do a bit of a cash flow analysis before purchasing the property.
    Anyway, ended up just using a rough figure. Will leave the actual work up to the QS :)

BMT Tax Depreciation likes this.