Deposit release

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by evisional2, 1st Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. evisional2

evisional2 Well-Known Member

Hello

I am in Melbourne. I signed a contract to buy an IP in Brisbane, subjecting to satisfaction with building and pest inspection report within 3 business days from the contract date. The reports turned out very bad, structural damages, termite damages. The contract signed by the seller on 23/8.

On 25/8, I received the building and pest reports and I have immediately emailed to RE agent, seller conveyancing, my solicitor to terminate the contract on the same day. I also called to seller conveyancer and RE Agent on the same day. Seller conveyancer confirmed over the phone that she has received contract termination letter from my solicitor. RE agent said that he will release my deposit on Tuesday 30/8. I have deposited 5% of purchase price into RE trust account on the contract date.

I went overseas on 26/8 and expected that fund was transferred to my bank account today but it not. I tried to contact RE agent but could not reach him. I left a SMS message on his mobile. Then, I received sms from RE agent. He told me he tried to contact my solicitor to request a letter from solicitor to cancel the contract but he could not reach them. He did not mention about deposit.

It sounds like that he tried to cheat me. If my solicitor writes a cancel contract today (not within 3 business days), it means that I break the contract.

I have emailed my solicitor to ask for help.

While waiting for my solicitor's reply and taking action, can you give me some advice what the worst scenarios?

PS. He should inform me of the property has termite damage prior to letting me sign the contract as this property is hard to sell and stay in the market last 2 months. I wasted my building and pest inspection due to lack of informing.

2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

You should just wait to get in contact with your solicitor. I fail to see the point of doing much else - including panicking over other scenarios.

3. Username86

Username86 Well-Known Member

Its only been 2 days since RE agreed to release deposit. Maybe give it a few more days... sometimes it takes up to 3 days for electronic transfers. I wouldn't be too concerned at this stage.

4. evisional2

Today is 1 Sept. It is 6 days already. The main point is that he requested a letter from my solicitor to cancel the contract. It seems that he entraps me into breaking the contract. If my solicitor sends a letter to cancel the contract today, the contract termination date will exceed 3 business days from the contract date. The contract is subject to satisfaction with building and pest inspection report within 3 business days from the contract date.

5. Username86

Username86 Well-Known Member

I see.. sorry I should have read the post more carefully I was focusing on the dates and not the rest of the message..

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

7. Agent30yrs.

Agent30yrs. Well-Known Member

Under the legislation, the agent has to release the deposit within 14 days of written notification from BOTH parties solicitors. This is assuming your solicitor advised the sellers in writing within the 3 days...? It's not clear in your post.

Terry_w and evisional2 like this.
  8. evisional2

Hi 30YrAgent

I have just talked to the RE Agent's trust account manager and was advised same as you said. I will wait for my solicitor replying the agent. Hopefully, everything will be ok.

Agent30yrs. likes this.
  9. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Does the legislation actually say 'solicitor' - the written notice by the purchaser should be enough.

Agent30yrs. likes this.
  10. evisional2

The contract states buyer notification in writing. However, the agent keeps requesting buyer solicitor though I told them that I am a buyer and I terminate the contract in writing at the right time. I am still waiting for my solicitor reply.

11. Agent30yrs.

Agent30yrs. Well-Known Member

Good point Terry, it probably says both parties

12. evisional2

Everything is ok now. Got solicitor reply. Agent said that deposit will be released by next Tue.

Perthguy, Agent30yrs. and Terry_w like this.