Dented dishwasher in a new otp unit

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Foodie, 11th May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Foodie

Foodie Member

Hi Propertychat members,

I've a new unit settling soon in Brissy (OTP Inner city). Some would say this is a great buy, but let's put that aside for the moment.

Went in for a Pre Settlement Inspection with my inspector the other day and found a dent on the dishwasher.

Have asked for this to be fixed prior to settlement but not sure if the builder will.

Has anyone ever had to fix a dented stainless steel appliances (dishwasher / fridge / washing machine) before?
    If so, do they just replace the face or get a paintless car dent removal guy to do it?

Look forward to hear your experience or thoughts.
    2a.jpg

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Can you hold back the cost of a new Bosch dishwasher from settlement. I would not be happy with that dent and would not accept it in a branch new unit.

Foxy Moron likes this.
  3. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

I would not pay for that either - I'd ask for a new one, or that the cost of new be held back at settlement.

4. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Then don't settle until it is fixed - simple. You hold all the cards. They're the ones waiting for your cash.

5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Its unlikely to be a material issue to delay settlement but may be a defect within the defects period in the contract. Usually a single defects report is accepted so take care you dont trigger an end to the defects reporting either. Read the contract.

sanj likes this.
  6. Foodie

Foodie Member

Spoke to my solicitor, so apparently in QLD otp contract, we can't hold-up settlement due to defects.. it will be in the defects list we notify to seller and has to be fixed within reasonable timeframe (likely after settlement).

Not ideal, but will keep chasing them until it's fixed. Bloody ugly.

Now, has anyone fixed a dented appliance before?
    Keen to hear your experience and how you fixed them :)

This would have to be a common things these days...not hard to dent one of these thing..

7. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

We bought a new fridge for our place. Received it today. But the first thing I see is that its dented. :(

Last edited: 11th May, 2016
  8. jim1964

jim1964 1941

When i worked as a removalist, we sometimes took the doors off, 5 minute job,especially if going upstairs.

9. Foodie

Foodie Member

Finally, a solution - they replaced the fascia of the unit. Was a simple process. However I did ended up settling first and getting this done during the defects period. I also spoke to the manufacturer's (Bosch) customer service line. Apparently this is pretty common and they can supply just the fascia and technician to replace it on the spot.

legallyblonde likes this.
  10. Gockie

Meanwhile... I still have a dented front door on my Westinghouse fridge that I received new in May. They seem to take forever for the order to come in, they even scheduled ir for delivery twice and it was not in stock (big waste of my time). Finally last weekend it was supposed to come (and they cant tell you an estimated delivery time of when it will be delivered until that day)...

Deluvery guy comes... surprise! Hinge is on the wrong side... its a 1 door fridge, they have our order details... how could they stuff this up so bad....

legallyblonde likes this.
  11. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Tip : Car dent removal guys can fix it cheap.

12. Gockie

But the location of my dent... maybe not! Its sort of near the handle were the metal is shaped in a certain way

13. Gockie

Ps. Car dent removal guys... that's a great industry to be in if you are self employed... I know an English guy who was making a killing doing that.... as a career I think its quite lucrative but I think being physically strong would help.... now i'm not a weak gal by any means, but I'm not sure I quite have enough strength to do as a career... just like hauling big stems of bananas....