Demolition in Victoria...

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Row, 16th Feb, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Row

Row New Member

Hi,

Ive just bought a place in victoria and want to gut the interior and demolish the lean to on the back to save some money, ready for the builder to come in and build the extension.It seems that nanny state victoria wont let me do this? I get that i'd have to get a licensed electrician and plumber in to do the disconnections, but how can i do the demo work myself? Gutting the inside - surly i can do that???!!!

Also i see that you cannot do restumping or subfloor work (bearer and joist replacement) yourself. Infact according to the VBA website, if you are building an extension or house as an owner builder you cannot do stumps or subfloor yourself: Owner-builder FAQs:

Acceptable owner-builder projects must relate to single domestic dwellings, and include:

• the construction of single residential dwellings
    • alterations renovations and additions to single dwellings
    • swimming pools and outdoor spas
    • retaining walls
    • fences
    • masts
    • pergolas
    • al fresco
    • sheds
    • garages and carports.
    You cannot perform demolition work or subfloor work. Owner-builders are not permitted to work on the relocation of a home, which would include stumping or subfloor work. However, completion of work to an already relocated home where the subfloor work has been completed is acceptable.

This is stupid. Is there a way around it?

2. Tools

Tools Well-Known Member

Why is it stupid?

Tools

Optimus likes this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Can you determine what is a load-bearing member or alternative load paths & sequencing when demolishing?

Footing design, tie downs, correct positioning of flashings, dampcourses or moisture proof barriers? These are the source of too many building defects.

4. Jasmine

Jasmine Well-Known Member

There are no restrictions to you gutting the inside yourself - plasterboard, cabinets, tiles, kitchen sink. Why would anyone stop you? Removing load baring (stud) walls will probably require council approval and official engineering.