Deleted facebook from phone

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by See Change, 5th Mar, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

Facebook has it's benefits , but there a're definite downsides .

Had a clean out of irrelevant follows last weekend , which helped , but today I deleted the app off my phone . Still have it on my computer at home .

Cliff

gman65 and datto like this.
  2. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

As someone who was in their (target demographic) prime when Facebook blew up I manged to resist ever creating one. Friends and family kept asking incessantly for years. I work in IT so I could see where it was headed. The computational power we can now throw at machine learning is only now starting to really become a thing. The insights - positive and negative - we'll be able to derive from people based on this haphazardly discarded data is going to be shocking for some in years to come. I don't think people realise just how much information they've given away. ML will create a pathway between what you've written and what you think. Scary stuff. Keep that data private!

gman65 likes this.
  3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Who needs FB? I don’t

27269, skyfall, Optimus and 3 others like this.
  4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I check it most days these past couple of years to sell stuff we've not used on various renovations, and currently doing a clean out of stuff we've stored for years.

I like the site for Art Antique valuations (like Antiques Roadshow - get valuations, advice etc). I've found No Pong and Koh on FB... fabulous products.

But once I've moved on the last of the things I want to sell, donated what I can't sell, I'll likely not bother checking much. I have never felt the desire or need to check it, except when I'm actively selling or looking on Marketplace. It is handy for quick selling. But I sometimes list something to sell in our big clear out, and in the process I end up buying something else. :D

I have zero information there either, no school, wrong birth date. I've even changed my name (after someone freaked me out by stalking me and saying "found you").

I changed my first and last name easily. To change it back I had to provide proof. I've since changed it again.

I could easily live without it. But it is handy at times.

Redwing, Lizzie, AxeLy and 1 other person like this.
  5. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

You should deactivate or delete it completely. I used to go on that website back around 2007-2010 before I got rid of it. I'd rather spend time on Reddit and learn new things than see pictures of what people ate for lunch on fakebook

skyfall and AxeLy like this.
  6. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

It depends. If one runs a business and needed promotion, facebook can be a cost-effective way. I think @Westminster 's company has one. Also, I have resisted Instagram and Tiktok so far. If you are working with China, you need WeChat too as they don't allow facebook and google apps.

MTR likes this.
  7. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Haven't seen a lunch photo for years. I belong to several science, gardening, political and other special interest pages ... so full of snippets and lots that is interesting .... including news

Not so much from family and friends nowadays, as the usage seems to have shifted

Perthguy, Joynz, Propin and 2 others like this.
  8. Spad

Spad Well-Known Member

I do for work. Large workforce we have a private group that's how we all stay connected and communicate.

Lizzie, MTR and See Change like this.
  9. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

Most of what I do is keeping in touch with friends / family or special interest groups ( music orientated ) and all of their updates come via Facebook .

i have a couple of genuine friends who turned out to have sides I wasn't aware of .

I have some genuine friends who like to call out the loonies out there .

It can be a useful tool , but like all tools can be used for good or bad .

Cliff

Lizzie, wylie and MWI like this.
  10. Momentum

Oh that's good to hear, it used to be photos of lunch, dinner and big toes back in 2007-2010

Lizzie likes this.
  11. Momentum

Yes it can be a good way to keep in touch with family/friends but I much prefer email for that

12. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

I have found one very useful purpose. I have an older person who passed away. His facebook page turned into a legacy page. We still wish him heavenly birthday every year and remember him. It was useful when his death notice was announced so friends around the world know about it.

Redwing likes this.
  13. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I use Messanger - which one used to have to have FB to use, but is now a separate entity

14. datto

datto Well-Known Member

A young woman from a South American country sends me raunchy photos and videos. She also makes propositions and wants US dollars. I wish she was more subtle.

15. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

I use Facebook heaps. I was using it a lot to become more familiar with varieties indoor plants and knowledge of prices for rare varieties. I’m selling off a lot now so will probably cut back once I move most on. I’m quite fascinated with what some frangipani growers are producing from growing seeds all over the world so it’s quite useful for me. You can get some ideas of seeds that produce new great varieties. It’s good to share what I’ve grown also to get some feedback from other growers. Their is a couple of Thai experts that I can share pictures and get advice with virus, bugs, etc.

I mainly use messenger to keep in touch with family interstate, and FB for friends and interstate family.

16. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I've bought a block of land in a brand new subdivision on the Central Coast of NSW, which won't be ready to start building until the end of the year.

As a result of posting about that in this forum, I had several people who have also bought land contact me. One of those people set up a Facebook group for new and potential residents, and quite a few people have joined. I know a number of my near neighbours, including a next door neighbour. A good way to start out in a new community.

craigc, Marg4000, Westminster and 2 others like this.
  17. jrc

jrc Well-Known Member

Possibly Americans don't appreciate subtlety

18. Onyx_OCAU

Onyx_OCAU Well-Known Member

If your aim is to slowly wean yourself off FB, deleting the app is a great first step. You'll also note you'll likely get better battery life from your phone as the FB app (dep on version and your phone hardware) updates constantly in the background, using bluetooth to track your location and being a data drain on your cellular network too.

You can still use FB on your phone's web browser, and on a desktop. So it's not entirely out of your life.

As for me, I've been off FB for half a decade. My real friends still have my phone number and can contact me, my extended family all have Apple devices and use Facetime video calling to keep in touch... I do miss it sometimes as I don't have access to marketplace - and I find offloading second hand/unwanted goods quite a pain - scumtree or fleabay are my alternatives. And special interest groups - well, other forms of social media - forums such as this and subreddits fulfil those needs.

I am not associating myself or giving my personal data to Zuckerberg's empire. The faster this fad implodes on itself the better IMHO. I give it a decade and a half maximum.

19. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

Just wear a tinfoil hat.

There is worse things out there than FB. Data is pretty much being sold everywhere.

20. Anthony416

Anthony416 Well-Known Member

I have found out to get delete unwanted likes but still can not get rid of unwanted followers, (all likes and followers are from Africa and I hear that Google search engines are penalising sites that have irrelavant likes and followers) any tips? (All the internet seaches for solutions bring up pages/menus that can not be seen/used on my Facebook page)

I set up Facebook reluctantly only about 6 months ago with the goal to then create a Facebook business page (which I did and it is the only page I use), but I am now starting to regret it.........