QLD Dedicated Sunshine Coast Thread

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by MJS1034, 12th Aug, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MJS1034

MJS1034 Well-Known Member

Have seen quite a few Brisbane and Gold Coast threads on here with the odd mention of the Sunshine Coast.

Sunshine Coast has been a sleeping giant for the past 4-5 years with some great growth. The last 12 months has seen over 20% gains.

Tim Lawless, the head of research at CoreLogic has tipped Sunshine Coast to outperform Brisbane leading up the the Brisbane 2032 Olympic Games.

Brisbane has Games, but SEQ regions could score property gains

2. Frenchie

Frenchie Well-Known Member

Prices up there are bananas.
    I wonder how the SC will fare when the flow of southerners will stop, and if people have to return to the office? Not many jobs up there with 6 figures.

On the other hand there is a lot of construction / infrastructure potential, with airport, light rail, Maroochydore CBD

MJS1034 likes this.
  3. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I own a home in Mooloolaba and it's gone up at least 30% in the last 6 months.

Waterfront properties there are in very high demand.

Last edited: 12th Aug, 2021
    TAJ likes this.
  4. Ariyahn2011

Ariyahn2011 Well-Known Member

Anywhere you can get homes/town houses for 400K? In the NT looking at exiting over the next few months to a new more affordable place in QLD.

5. Boss

Boss Well-Known Member

400K won't buy you much on the SC.

And 400K won't buy you much (old 3 bedder) in Hervey Bay anymore either.

6. Frenchie

Nambour for a townhouse around that price point.

7. Ariyahn2011

Ariyahn2011 Well-Known Member

Strewth things are getting out of control

8. MJS1034

Ariyahn2011 likes this.
  9. MJS1034

Huge growth! How long have you owned the property? Has it performed well over this time.

The other great thing about Sunshine Coast is super low vacancy’s with decent yields which certainly makes holding properties that little bit easier

10. MJS1034

Haha always gotta get Hervey Bay in every QLD thread I read

11. Boss

Boss Well-Known Member

Well...I could have mentioned Agnes Water...but it's up around 30% over the past 12 months and thus you'd need at least 500K to buy something very basic anyhow.

12. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

About 3 years ago I was talking to an interior designer of mine who lives up the coast and she was saying that properties over there are so undervalued. We were planning to go into a joint venture to buy a property in Mooloolaba, do a full renovation and put it back on the market. Long story short last minute she had to pull out for genuine reasons which I understand so I decided to go ahead with the purchase and plan the venture by myself and get her on board as a consultant because she lived in the area.

Anyhow other projects got in the way and I was pretty busy so I just decided to rent that out for the time being. It was a little bit outside my comfort zone because I was very used to investing within Brisbane 3-10km ring. But she gave me the confidence to purchase it. It's on an 850sqm lot, uninterrupted water views.

It's had phenomenal growth since and that's not counting any 'add value' I plan to do to it. So glad I went ahead with the purchase.

Last edited: 13th Aug, 2021
    spoon, craigc, Toon and 6 others like this.
  13. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

It is absolutely totally nuts. Brought PPOR in 2016 for $1m, could sell now for well over $2m. Except no way I would sell as I love the place. Even an 70s 3 bed renovator with no views around me (northern beachfront suburbs) is $900+k. You could buy land 100m from the beach for $350k in 2011-2013. Now you’d struggle to get a block like that for under $1m. I keep thinking that prices will plateau but they just keep going up.

ChrisP73 likes this.
  14. Firefly99

The SC is more expensive than Brisbane and the Gold Coast… that budget could get an apartment or maybe a town house in a suburb away from the beach.
    If you’re looking for a house with decent yard etc in Qld for that budget then Ipswich, Logan, Toowoomba might be good options

Ariyahn2011 likes this.
  15. seadogg14

seadogg14 Well-Known Member

I have a budget of $750k and looking to invest in the Coast.House and land with and eye on capital growth.Any thoughts on where to look at?

16. Peachey23

Peachey23 Member

I don’t think you will get anything right on the coast for that budget but would easily get something in Aura 10km from beach (very small blocks) otherwise I’d suggest looking at railway towns from glass house mountains up to Nambour (approx 25km from coast) you would get a 600m house and land in most of these towns for your budget. I think these areas will do well as viable option for people who need to work in Brisbane and want to catch train and can get to coast on weekends with 25min drive in rail services improve like has been promised commute time to Brisbane will reduce further and I expect these areas will become more desirable and good capital gains.

17. Frenchie

Maybe Pacific Paradise, Aroona, Mountain Creek?

Firefly99 likes this.
  18. Firefly99

Agree with this of looking for something close to the beach. They are surrounded by quite nice areas and should see good CG.

19. Bradley Peet

Bradley Peet Well-Known Member

Have you considered Brightwater in Mountain Creek?

When I was involved in that estate back in 2011/12, no-one wanted a large 4 bedroom home with all the bells & whistles for $420,000, but now - just wow. For $750k, you (MIGHT) snag a standard 4 bedroom home or a nice 3 bedroom property.

Both strong rents and sales in the area.

20. Frenchie

I don't know much about Pacific Paradise but it still seemed like methhead central last time I went there.

Ariyahn2011 likes this.