Decking

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by Kashmir, 7th Nov, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Kashmir

Kashmir Well-Known Member

Hi there,

I'm after recommendations for people/companies who do decking at a decent price. (Only about 30 sqms) and probably Merbau. What is a good rate for supply and install per sqm?

I've been quoted anywhere from 4.5k to 8000! so I'm struggling to pick what's a good price for quality work.
    I'm in Sydney North West if that helps..
    Thanks

2. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

It depends on access, what sort of framing you want to use, how high off the ground etc. 30m2 deck will require council approval which adds another cost.

3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

4. LifesGood

LifesGood Well-Known Member

Out of interest, why merbau? There are some great composite options available nowadays that require hardly any maintenance.

Shankiedoodle likes this.
  5. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

We're putting 100m2 of decking around the new house build and was quote $65/m2 for "laying" the decking boards ... us to supply materials ... needless to say we said we'd do that job ourselves.

So, $8k quote all up for your deck sounds spot on for material supply, foundations, framing etc.

6. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

I only ever do this type of thing myself.... If it's low (ie. Easy to build, simple foundations, minimal steps, no railing, decent access) I'd be expecting ~3k in materials alone. Then you'd have to pick them up, have all the tools, provide the labour & follow up any planning/building permits as/if required. So 5k would probably be around bottom end of expected quotes for a "turn key" job. If the deck is high, access poor, stairs required, railing etc. then obviously a commensurate amount more.

7. Leonie

Leonie Well-Known Member

I like the low maintenance of composite decking.

Which one is the best value in your opinion?

8. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I like real timber as we have boistrious dog