QLD Deception bay

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Closet, 7th Jun, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

Did you buy this land, hope you are not, most of the land is in flood region or no desirable for construction.

I actually admired this sale in last December, then pushed my self hard to get one old Reno potential house near Petrie. It gave me good paper return after Reno.

2. Bris developer

Bris developer Well-Known Member

It’s about the back 1/4

I am confident we can do something with it
    Keep
    You posted

Jana and wombat777 like this.
  3. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

Mate, Are you the one who bought this one? Sounds like a solid plan. Check with neighboring developed area, I believe it was similar before they develop then flood line get pushed away.

Give some update how you go. BTW, I regretted not buying this as it was advertised 1.3mn a year ago. You have done really well. Hope you have enough money in your pocket to pump. Let me know if you need any help with structural stuffs.

Bris developer likes this.
  4. Bris developer

Bris developer Well-Known Member

I read a great article that there is 5 ways to make money in real estate
    - zoning change
    - infrastructure development
    - population growth
    - general inflation
    - boom bust cycle

The real money is made in the first 3 stages. Picking an area and land banking before the zoning, infra and population arrives.

These sort of deals suit me if one has the holding ability.

Tony@ByPass, wombat777 and wilso8948 like this.
  5. E than

E than Member

Anyone looked at 91, 93 Windsor place, DBay?

6. Hayes

Hayes Well-Known Member

Just curious, what are the vacancy rates lately in deception bay??

7. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

Pretty low vacancies <2%

F7E117DC-702A-43B6-B306-A7E34E63A0D2.jpeg

8. Hayes

Hayes Well-Known Member

9. Cate Bell

Cate Bell Well-Known Member

From what I see, 2007 - Sold $286,000.. I don't think much will happen in the next cycle for Deception Bay. It needs more gentrification. Depends on your strategy, some are seeing it a s a long term hold.

Hayes likes this.
  10. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

I personally think focus on the band within 500m (nominally a 5 minute walk) of the foreshore.

Naturally the closer to the water the better, theory being that the waterfront zone attracts gentrification over time.

This stretch of Deception Bay is only 5% to 10% of the overall area of the suburb but I think it is an area where capital growth will concentrate because of the waterfront. But you need to be patient.

I've measured the rough 500m distance band and shown it with some rectangles below.

Screen Shot 2019-06-09 at 4.18.04 pm.png

Now the area between Bayview Terrace and Maine Terrace has been rezoned Urban Neighbourhood. This area has been historically low socio-economic but more owner-occupiers are moving in and the place is starting to gentrify ...

Examples of properties being improved:
    So a bit of a myth that all of this area is low socio-economic.

Over time the rezoning will encourage urban renewal as the sites suits apartments and Townhouses. So I think anywhere within 200m of the waterfront in this zone should do well for capital growth once gentrification occurs ( as these are the sites developers will focus on ... and they may look to consolidate sites ).

The reason for 200m ... there is a chance that if these sites are developed they may be able to take advantage of the water views. The "Urban Neighbourhood" zoning in Deception Bay allows higher structures (up to 21m), e.g. 3-storey townhouses.

I have posted some detail on it in this thread.

Deception Bay Gentrification / Development Thread

In this zoning:
    • The 600 sqm sites are the preferred.
    • Or corner sites as dual-street provides more flexibility for parking arrangements
    • The 400 sqm sites are challenging as they only have a 10m frontage (so these need to be consolidated, unless they are a corner site that provides better flexibility for parking ).
    Within 200m of the water there is a good change of water views from a front-facing balcony ( or alternatively from a rooftop terrace ).

Screen Shot 2019-06-09 at 4.30.13 pm.png

Kelris, Codie, Ronald86 and 1 other person like this.
  11. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

Yes, But land size distracted me. Not a great buy in my view though.

12. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

Hayes, It gives me an impression like cottage. Adding room requires structural addition, not just partition within usable area, therefore I dont think good strategy. Also rent wise, in the present form, 310-320 pw is achievable target so the sale price is not attractive.

13. wombat777

The main potential for 89, 91 and 93 Windsor Place is the three of them being combined as a development site. The zoning allows unit-blocks up to 21m high and also townhouses ... do you know anyone else intending to buy an investment property ...?

Two could be combined for an 800sqm site.
    Three could be combined for a 1200sqm site.

In the future you could pay for a DA and sell with plans. In the meantime you just hold and rent out. Wait for values in the area to improve.

89 Windsor Place, Deception Bay, Qld 4508
    91 Windsor Place, Deception Bay, Qld 4508
    93 Windsor Place, Deception Bay, Qld 4508

14. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

Good pick. I didn't realise those three are sitting next to each other- it looks same agent selling them. With the potential unit development, someone need to buy all three, otherwise it is not helpful.

Have you done any nos? Do you think the combined three lands can be sold over 900k to make any profit in the current mkt. The street appeal is just average, not too sure for demand for unit though.I see future potential as bonus, but nos need to work in the present market.

15. wombat777

I'm not sure that in the current market you would sell them undeveloped for much of a profit ( otherwise the agent would have already sold them ).

It's basically a land-banking opportunity for two or three of the sites. In the meantime you rent them out. Then later after market shows signs of strength you can pay for plans for a DA and get council approval. Then potentially sell for a profit or develop yourself.

It's the builders that have the advantage as they are paying wholesale rates for all the building work. It is easier for them to make the numbers stack up.

Jana likes this.
  16. wilso8948

wilso8948 Well-Known Member

From memory 89 was sold to an owner occ. 93 went to an investor. So I think 91 is the only one available.

17. wombat777

So the opportunity there I guess is to buy 91 and team up with the owner of 93 down the track ... but wait 5 to 10 years for another cycle to play out.

This site at Lawnton gives some perspective of what could be done on 600sqm to 800sqm. From memory ... 21m is the height limit (same as Deception Bay).

12 units below so I guess 16 units on 800 sqm. Some of them would get water views. Alternatively could do townhouses but they must be a minimum of 5 metres high.

2 Gardiner Street at Lawnton.
    • Urban Neighbourhood Zoning (up to 21m height)
    • 598sqm
    • 12 Units, 12 parking spaces.
    Screen Shot 2019-06-01 at 1.54.01 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-01 at 1.54.24 pm.png

TheRons likes this.
  18. Hayes

Hayes Well-Known Member

19. wombat777

Just sold for $325k.

I think agents have been quite active to find properties to list due to investor demand.

46 Windsor Place sold for $285k in 2008

https://www.onthehouse.com.au/prope.../46-windsor-pl-deception-bay-qld-4508-2802194

2015 was a dip in the market?

20. Ronald86

Ronald86 Well-Known Member

How about this one! (Btw not really buying or vested interest in this particular place, just curiously look at properties sold/buy every now and then)

12 Wallin Avenue, Deception Bay, Qld 4508 12 Wallin Avenue, Deception Bay, Qld 4508

wombat777 likes this.