Deception Bay Gentrification / Development Thread

Discussion in 'Development' started by wombat777, 12th Oct, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

Plans for an extension at the southern end of the shopping centre:

Screen Shot 2019-06-15 at 10.56.42 pm.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-15 at 10.58.07 pm.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-15 at 10.58.18 pm.png

2. Closet

Closet Well-Known Member

That area is starting to get fhb moving in as the public housing is all quietly sold off. it is closer to redcliffe north lakes and other estates and has a better feel to it. Its also an easy walk to the waterfront .

Gentrification has been a slow process but as this thread shows investment is happening slowly....certainly a very different place from 10 years ago. Prices almost doubled when brisbane went up in early 2000's and until recently had been doinf 4% a year so it will do fine in the long term as mb expands and these built in areas with uniqueness become more desirable

3. wombat777

This property sold for $420k. A bargain given the land size, corner location and water views that a development would get from the upper levels ( particularly on the corner of a development). Number 81 Esplanade across the road already has a development application.

4-6 Beaufort Place, Deception Bay, Qld 4508

Screen Shot 2019-06-18 at 7.26.41 pm.png

4. Carol M

Carol M Well-Known Member

Hi there,
    Does anyone think it remotely possible that a 405 sq.m block with 10 m frontage in Urban Neighbourhood precinct (at waterside end of Osborne Tce) would be permitted to house a 2 story duplex type townhouse (there is room for 2 single garages & entry underneath, and dwelling above). Please don't just say go ask a town planner. That is obvious, but I am asking here as several guys have looked into this quite a bit.
    Thanks.

TheRons likes this.
  5. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

6. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Yes you can...the issue is a double garage but if you make it 5.4m and call it a single garage it may work. ;)

TheRons likes this.
  7. Carol M

Carol M Well-Known Member

Thanks for replies, it is for my own block, so not land shopping. I had in mind an 8 m wide building,with 1m setback either side. Each side of building would be 4 m wide (comprising a 3m wide single garage and 1m wide entry (approx, slightly smaller to allow for brickwork/cladding). Internal stairs would run horizontally so a 1 m entry area would suffice (many designs require 2 m entry because of stair space) OR some designs even have entry at side of unit so a front entry not essential.
    Wombat 777 can you give me more detail please on the practical reasons this would not work.
    Min site density of 450 dwellings per hectare in that zone may be a killer (for my 405 sq.m block) = 450 sq.m. per dwelling. Wonder if there is a way around that,other than enlarging block.Thanks

Last edited: 13th Jan, 2020
  8. wombat777

Turning radius could be an issue for a multi-dwelling on a 10m-wide site ( which from memory is what I was asking my town planner about ).

It really comes down to the type of construction the council will allow under the code in this zone on a 10m wide site. Council may not allow a duplex under the code for this zone as they are intending medium to high density.

You can pay Pro Town Planners to do an assessment against the code ( which is what I did for my other sites in Moreton Bay ). Will cost you $210. You are really best to get town planner advice. It doesn't cost much and you will be better informed. They can complete an assessment fairly quickly.

Brisbane Town Planners- Pro Town Planners

NB - I have a 455 sqm site in Petrie on which I can do 4 townhouses or eight units but from memory this is 13m wide ( has more room to work with for turning circles ).

TheRons likes this.
  9. wombat777

Attached Files:

10. wombat777

Plans for a Unit Block with a cafe/bar on an adjacent, an application to extend the DA has just been lodged (DA was originally approved in 2016).

Screen Shot 2020-08-01 at 9.56.15 am.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-01 at 9.53.06 am.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-01 at 9.45.07 am.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-01 at 9.51.16 am.png

TheRons and ellejay like this.
  11. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

Can’t believe I’m reading this thread ! I’ve been telling anyone who will listen that D Bay near the water is the place to buy. My husband is a Brisbane local (born and breed) and can’t get over the stigma so no point even suggesting we buy an investment there. I’m glad other are making the most of the opportunities :)

wombat777 likes this.
  12. Closet

Closet Well-Known Member

Certainly looks like a boom in Dbay at the moment....prices are well up and market is red hot apparently... not sure what is driving it - almost everything under contract under $400k...

https://www.realestate.com.au/buy/p...ion+bay,+qld+4508/list-2?activeSort=price-asc

Ronald86 and wombat777 like this.
  13. wombat777

Moreton Bay has been hotspotted for years. Low vacancy rate and nice yield in Deception Bay certainly helps.

Interesting - a couple of ~400 sqm corner sites in the Urban Neighbourhood area in that list of under offer/contract properties.

Ronald86 likes this.
  14. Ronald86

Ronald86 Well-Known Member

is it really a 'boom'? Anecdotal but i did get a call from previous RE mentioning that there has been an increase in inquiries incl interest from interstate buyers agents. Grain of salt perhaps as could just be trying to round up some work, but interesting to see it seems to be inline with your generic comment. Also something to check would be if the final sold price for that list you have is near the quoted range or lower which would give some more indications as to demand...

Keen to know from anyone on the ground (@Closet ) are you? some interesting dev activity going on @wombat777 and sounds positive for the area!

15. wombat777

I also had a call from my real estate agent about 1 month back. Looking to see if I want to sell.

16. Closet

Closet Well-Known Member

From agents... yep it is booming...shortage of properties, multiple offers... premium prices...everything under offer... Good times

17. wombat777

The gentrification in Deception Bay continues ... !

I think the development activity will get more and more people thinking about how they can creatively increase the value of their properties. This looks quite clever.

They are raising the house and building under it.

The way it is divided up they are creating a granny flat of 2 bedrooms behind the garage and the main dwelling being the upper storey and the rear of the bottom level.

You can see the porch for the granny flat on the side of the Perspective 1 elevation below.

Screen Shot 2020-10-01 at 11.08.53 am.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-01 at 11.21.14 am.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-01 at 11.13.15 am.png

The existing house is being raised and renovated.

Screen Shot 2020-10-01 at 11.14.43 am.png

Ronald86 likes this.
  18. wombat777

19. wombat777

20. wombat777

Vacant block for above DA is on market for $500k. Blocks being sold individually or paired up.

https://www.realestate.com.au/property-residential land-qld-deception+bay-202210806