DA Approval being delayed?

Discussion in 'Development' started by Michael_123, 15th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Michael_123

Michael_123 New Member

Hi,
    First time post. I have a 4x townhouse DA in with Norwood & St Peters (SA) council since October 2016...

I started a Development Application that was received by council on the 15th October 2016. It is now the 15th of June 2017 and I am no closer to getting an approval event though myself and the architect i am working with have done our utmost to provide every response and change as necessary. Throughout the process we have been delayed unnecessarily in many ways. The latest, is come to the point that I don't know where I can turn for help. Council had letters distributed to neighbours and that time period ended on May 2nd. Instead of booking the Development assessment meeting for the May 19th, we were told that it was not enough time to prepare the paperwork and they booked in for June 19th. Just today (June 15th) received a phone call to advise that they want to assess the DA further before proceeding to the meeting and will be delayed by another month! I am furious, they have had ample to time to collect and assess all information; and to spring this on us a few days before the meeting.

I have been so frustrated throughout this whole process; has anyone else experienced a DA that has taken this long?? My block is just sitting there costing me money. I just submitted to Ombudsman but they said there isn't a lot they can do.
    Any advice?

2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Get yourself a strong brandy and take regular sips. What your experiencing is the incompetence of councils which is a common event unfortunately. They are pretty much all the same imo. Unfortunately your mostly at their mercy and they know it. Just have to play their game and keep on em non stop. Submit anything they request as fast as you can too. Then regular follow ups with them cos seriously they don't know their right hand from their left.

Last edited: 15th Jun, 2017
    lixas4, Michael_123 and WestOz like this.
  3. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Red tape and incompetence of local governments hindering our progress and economy.

Sackie likes this.
  4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

NSW has a deemed refusal at 42 days and you can progress to the land & environment court.

You're not too serious about getting a result if you or your artichoke haven't pushed the matter.

Probably time to engage a town planner to get the deal over the line or push the L&E button. There are obviously issues.

Anthony416 and Sackie like this.
  5. Anthony416

Anthony416 Well-Known Member

Seems the same in every state. Depressingly frequent in Sydney. I am a planner and the clients expect me to do miracles with councils who are accountable to nobody and don't give a xxxx.

Current one, pre-lodge in Oct 16, had to wait 6 weeks for council notes from meeting! Then submitted late Dec 16, still going on with constant changing the goal posts & irrational requests.

Deemed refusal is an option (in NSW) but you need to demonstrate you have tried to comply with council's requests to some "reasonable" extent. Also gets expensive fast via that route and council knows it..........

WestOz likes this.
  6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

True however Council can push this outcome where the development is unpopular but they have no real grounds to refuse (& they don't want the blame).

7. Anthony416

Anthony416 Well-Known Member

Very true, then the baddy is the Court and not the council when it gets approved.

Scott No Mates likes this.
  8. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

It happens with business approvals as well.
    My employer has been trying to get approval for an extension for the past 2yrs, which will employ an additional 5 in-house full time + many others via service supply operators/contractors.

Very costly and stressful to the point he wonders if it's worth while continuing to bash his head against a brick wall, but after 150k + so far in costs just in planning & legals at what point do u throw in the towel