Current thought process - Interest Only or P&I?

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by liverpool77, 11th Jan, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. liverpool77

liverpool77 Active Member

I am with SGB and one of my loans is ending its first 5 years I/Only terms and was wondering what thought process is now for rolling these over? IE are we still automatically rolling over to I/O (which I have done in the past) or are investors preferring now to go P&I?

I have a number of loans and debt and currently have a good discount so am paying around 4.75% for investor loan interest only however the P&I rate would come down to ~4.2%.... So was thinking it may actually be worthwhile for me to let this flip over to P&I with the following thought process I would be keen to hear what others think:

P&I Pros:
    1. Better interest rate means saving $'s on interest paid vs IO which is a higher rate (albeit total $ outflow is less for I/only).
    2. Paying principal allows loan to be paid down and improves LVR.
    3. Better risk profile from bank as paying down debt shows better serviceability.
    4. Application process easier for P&I vs I/only (note however legislation/process may change in due course meaning P&I may be difficult to get post 5 years in future?).
    Interest only Pros:
    1. Better cash flow if need funds to invest elsewhere.
    2. Tax deductions greater.
    3. Ability to have off-set account which negates portion of P&I advantage however different in interest rates of +50bps negates this advantage somewhat.
    By way of background, I have cash to service P&I and do not have any upcoming need for immediate cash hence why I thought P&I would suit my circumstances... I may also be able to get a better discount rate on this particular investment loan rate given P&I?

Brady likes this.
  2. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Prob best to go with P&I then

Haggle on rate - it should be a fair bit cheaper than IO

Cheers

Jamie

3. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

I recently looked at this and best result looks like refinance loan back over 30 years P&I.

- Gives me better rate
    - Increases my servicing
    - Minimises the P&I repayment increase

Great to do this whilst you can IMO

Jess Peletier likes this.
  4. liverpool77

Thanks guys, yes interesting when you look into it a bit closer....

Brady - I think I seen in another thread you went with a fixed 3.99% rate over 2 years? Who is this with and what happens to this rate after 2 years?

Ive seen some of the lower online tier lenders also have some good rates <4%?

5. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

CBA IHL P&I 2YR Fixed @ 3.99%
    Reverts to variable with the negotiated discount now (if done correctly), if rates were to stay the same, pending many factors would expect ~4.30%

6. liverpool77

Jamie - should the discount from the SVR be the same under both scenarios or will they likely do better for P&I?

Note the P&I loan is 54 bps cheaper but this is just the difference between the standard P&I rate (6.46%) and the standard I/O rate (5.92%) so presume they will potentially reduce this further??.

7. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Why not extend the term back to 30 years, and stick with PI. Best of both worlds as the min repayments will drop.

Brady likes this.
  8. Jamesaurus

Jamesaurus Well-Known Member

I am +1 for investigating this option into your cashflow analysis @liverpool77

Brady likes this.
  9. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

if you have non ded debt, the spread with between 2 /3 year fixed IO and PI with many lenders, inc CBA is weeny...........

refi to 30 year PI with a 2 or 3 year IO fixed is the general advice for most with PPOR debt still

ta
    rolf

Brady and Peter P like this.